Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus, and pilot training

I think there is enough demonising of the Cirrus on internet forums. Let's not go overboard here. Like Bonanzas and PA-46s before it, more advanced aircraft are easier to get behind and can be harder to fly. That can lead to more accidents unless people take training and conversion seriously.

No dual hand redundancy? Ummm.

EGTK Oxford

there is a use for the right hand.

Yeeeeeees ;)

BTW In what I am sure was an inspired piece of planned redundancy ;) Cirrus had the foresight to supply a right-handed stick for the right-hand seat.

EGSC

BTW In what I am sure was an inspired piece of planned redundancy ;) Cirrus had the foresight to supply a right-handed stick for the right-hand seat

Yes, if there is someone in the right hand seat, which in an Airbus is a given, but in a Cirrus it wont always be the case. The article seems to be about safety, and this seems a valid safety point. Im not trying to demonise Cirrus, if I had the money I might well consider one, and in most respects (though I wont change my mind about the side stick), they are beautiful aircraft.

So do people commonly injure their left hands in flight? ;)

EGTK Oxford

It wasn't meant to be a serious comment. But if it ever happens to me, I hope I have the presence of mind to turn on the autopilot, take off my seat belt climb into the right seat, put on my seat belt, wipe up the blood and go back to flying the plane.

Or I could always just conform to the Cirrus stereotype and pull the chute.

EGSC

Actually I think we could have uncovered the problem. The pilot flying is normally in the left seat with a left sidestick. Now if you are lefthanded, that is fine. As a lefthander you are also likely to be more intelligent so those tricky electronics will be easier for you.

The problem comes when the slightly less bright majority righthander population flies the plane. Unable to retain control with their near useless left hand they are forced to use their right to activate the autopilot. Fortunately the parachute is also able to be operated with the right hand.

Jonzarno, I knew it was a joke. As was my comment.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC

Yes, I realised that. My post wasn't directed at yours :)

EGSC

So do people commonly injure their left hands in flight? ;)

I did, though I wont claim that seriosuly alters the statistics -), and while whatever needed a plaster, I'd have still managed to fly with that hand if I needed to. But the point is, that sometimes these things happen, and when they do, you could imagine it would be more annoying when it's the hand that's also on the side of the stick. As I say, its a bit of a trivial point, and I guess I am just expressing my general dislike for them (up to and including the Airbus).

Ah but a correlation does not prove a causal relationship.

Left-handedness correlates with something else too.

I leave it to you to research that.

Let me give you a clue... the same thing also correlates with a higher income (which of course anyway correlates with a higher IQ).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well I for one am RIGHT handed but I fly every plane with my left hand because the right hand is on the throttle. Since the Cirrus is nirmally flown on A/P you can of course alwways use your left hand to write if necessary.

THe whole discussion about the Side Yoke (there is no *Side stick") is really somewhat artificial because you fly it pretty much the same as any other aircraft. What's true is that you have to avoid a fuel imbalance or you need a lot of aileron trim to avoid pressure on the wrist.

Sign in to add your message