Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA40NG - Options (Need suggestions)

ADS-B is the traffic system most likely to get mandated……… it’s probably cheaper to fit now than at a later date.

As said above ADF is something you will need if you intend to get an IR or might need for legal reasons……….. these are the only criteria that require ADF ( unless you want to listen to the cricket on the BBC ).

My experience with stormscope has been mixed, probably best consult a stormscope guru for advice on that.

DME is essential in Europe if you want to fly IFR.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Airborne_Again, 172driver
Thank you for pointing out on the GFC500, I am not sure but I will ask. Currently the only option given to me is GFC500.The tablet mount is Euro 1250. Seems rather expensive

Neil, I do agree with you. Even i may not use it that option, it’s definitely a good option to have.

0fficer, that is my dilemma on ADF. I felt it not worth the money and operationally, probably not much use. However, I am aware that for IR training, I may need it.

Snoopy, I am not sure if I will keep it beyond 3 years. I spend half the time in UK / Europe and another half in Asia. In the next 3 years I foresee this will not change. Not sure what will happen after 3 years. Limited air space in Asia for GA stuff. Thanks for the comment on ADF. This is something I have been pondering. Usage vs Cost

Silvaire, my intention is to use the DA-40 to gain experience flying in UK and Europe and learning IR. I am usually in the UK during summers and I do not want a situation to have to “fight” with other students for bookings. Moreover, if I were to take the plane to Europe, it will probably me a few days. Since I am going to devote 5 to 6 months a year in flying for the next 3 years, I felt I should get a plane on my own and I would prefer it to be on a glass cockpit.

Maoraigh, As I am new to Europe, it’s probably better to have an instructor to be with me during these hours building. It’s more to gain experience and to learn. It will be as a PIC but always useful to have someone that is familiar with Europe as a backup.

Ibra, Not so sure about SV. Not a cheap option.

A_and_C, ADS-B if this get mandatory, do i still need to get the TAS ?

United Kingdom

A_and_C wrote:

As said above ADF is something you will need if you intend to get an IR

Seriously – is this still used in the UK and/or Europe? It’s long gone from the FAA IR syllabus.

Last Edited by 172driver at 02 Sep 00:13

krisflyer wrote:

Since I am going to devote 5 to 6 months a year in flying for the next 3 years, I felt I should get a plane on my own and I would prefer it to be on a glass cockpit.

What are you going to do with the plane while you are away? Aircraft do not like to sit for long periods unflown.

krisflyer wrote:

A_and_C, ADS-B if this get mandatory, do i still need to get the TAS ?

TAS is useful in Europe. As ADS-B OUT is not mandatory for light aviation, most of it doesn’t have it. TAS will show you traffic that has a transponder, but not ADS-B OUT.

About the near future, in Europe, I don’t think there is any plan with a precise timeframe to make ADS-B OUT legally mandatory for light aviation. However, it already is mandatory in the USA.

I’m not aware of ADS-B IN being mandatory anywhere. However, it will show you better and more precise information about traffic that has ADS-B OUT. Which will be limited to bigger iron, and recently built or avionics-upgraded aircraft. In short, TAS shows you an approximate azimuth and distance to the traffic; depending on antenna placement, you may/will have deadspots where your TAS doesn’t “see” or sees only with more limited range. With ADS-B IN, the traffic is exactly where it is shown, period. Range of ADS-B IN is also essentially unlimited. You’ll also see the traffic’s callsign; one could fairly call this gimmicky, but FYI.

In the USA, ADS-B IN will also get you inflight weather information at no subscription or per-download cost. I’ve heard of various limited trials to introduce that in some points of Europe, but never of an economic plan for wider deployment.

Note that if you have Mode S extended squitter, that’s ADS-B OUT.

Last Edited by lionel at 02 Sep 04:21
ELLX

Airborne_Again wrote:

The GFC700 seems like overkill. Is there is an option for GFC500?

I’m not aware that the two are interchangeable. I think a GFC500 requires a Garmin G5, which krisflyer is not intending to get, while the GFC700 requires a Garmin G1000 (“classic” or NXi), which krisflyer intends to get. Aren’t you confusing with the GFC600?

ELLX

TAS (I have the TAS605) is a great add-on to spend money on. Just don’t get a bad installer like I did

Get the Golze ADL. It is very good and will cost you much less than the GSR56. I have the ADL150.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you plan to do a lot of Ifr, I would suggest stomscope and golze, as storm scope is too bare a minimal when you have embedded’s.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 02 Sep 06:37
LFMD, France

Hi,

DA40NG is a good choice! I have owned two (long story) before going to DA62 route. Love that plane too.

Options that I am taking :
GFC700 Autopilot/Flight Director
DME
TAS (Traffic Advisory System)
ADS-B in/out

Good choices and really required to enjoy DA40.

Question : If I am taking the TAS, does it make sense to take the ADS-B ? I believe the TAS is 605 instead of 605A. The ADS-B is an additional option based on GTX 345R

Most folks in Europe don’t have ADS-B out, so if you have IN, you need TAS to get some warning of others flying with conventional transponders. I highly recommend. Adds a lot of security in the air. The G1000 system can separate these two sources of traffic information, I have rarely seen duplicates on screen.

Options I am not taking :
Digital standby instruments
Synthetic Vision
Electrically operated rudder pedals
Built in tablet mounts

Synthetic Vision is good, as mentioned by others, it adds a lot of situational awareness of terrain etc. Take the tablet mounts, you won’t regret it. It is a bit pricey, but I think worth the money.

No idea of the digital standby instruments, I think that is more like a personal preference. The non-electric rudder pedals are fine, I recall the electronic ones adding a bit more weight too?

Option I am not sure :
ADF
Stormscope

ADF, well, phasing out. But I guess could be useful depending where you fly. RNP is the way ahead anyways.

Stormscope: big YES. Adds a lot of information where NOT to go. Combine this with the Golze ADL service and you have a lot more information available to you during flights, especially in IFR. I have Garmin weather and weather radar in my DA62, and also the stormscope. Wouldn’t go flying without it if given the choise.

DA40NGs sell quite well and if you use it 2-3 years before upgrading, I think you get good money out of the plane when selling – if you keep it in good condition. Not many used DA40s on the market, long queue to get a new one from the factory. Do the math :)

Good luck ordering your Diamond, I am sure you like it as much as I do.

Last Edited by Pehu at 02 Sep 07:33
Flying Finn living in Switzerland.
LSZL LOcarno, Switzerland

It looks like I will be a bit of a contrarian here: I did what you intend to do ( start my career in a DA40, but mine was Avgas powered) .

Apart from cost, two important factors to consider are the weight of additional avionics ( the NG is severely on the edge already) and the fact that each additional item is one more point of potential failure.
Here my advice:

After 1000 hours in two DA40’s, one without and one with SV, I believe SV at this price is wasted money. It is illegal to fly approaches on it. (I do have it, but on the ipad and basically for free).

On the opposite side of my priorities: get all the traffic awareness you can afford, this is life insurance.

And after 1000 hours in the G1000 world, I am now back to « moderately integrated » avionics. This and an i-pad centric cockpit are my new mantra.

I dont know what Diamond offer nowadays on tablet integration but it is a good idea to have a robust tablet solution on board, with permanent power and something like Flightstream.
Make sure you dedicate the tablet to this task and get rid of the background apps, pop up rubbish etc..,

ADF is dead, the legal bullshit about it is immaterial. I never had it and never needed it in over 1000 IFR hours.

DME remains a very real factor in Europe. My first DA40 did not have it, I worked around this, but it was illegal.
Stormscope is nice but given the aircraft’s capabilities and your own experience, of little use to you. Cost and weight…
Consider leaving out for now, using tablet based weather and adding the Golze solution when your experience grows and the need materialises

The DA40 is a very very nice plane. In the current market you would see very moderate depreciation. Don’t overstuff it with gizmos that can be retrofitted only on the basis of resale value. This is a losing bet.
What will preserve the value of your aircraft is impeccable maintenance records.
Wishing you many hours of flying joy.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message