Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA40NG - Options (Need suggestions)

How much is the SVT/Stormscope and how much is the entire plane?

Unless you absolutely dislike it due to some personal spleen, get it.

Same goes for the stormscope. And I highly recommend Garmin Connext Datalink as well.

You’re spending a few hundred thousand € on what is essentially a toy. Two drops less in the bucket aren’t making a difference?

Verify if you can do the IR training and exam without an ADF. Adding one later is a pain.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hello Snoppy

You have a point regarding checking the IR training without an ADF. Let me clarify.
The quotation I am given as follows:

DA40NG base price (see std equipment in attached document) €425,900

Options:

GFC700 Autopilot/Flight Director €27,900
DME €11,700
ADF €13,000
Stormscope €10,900
TAS (Traffic Advisory System) €15,600
Digital standby instruments €6,100 (instead of traditional stby instruments)
Synthetic Vision €9,300
ADS-B in/out €4,100 (highly recommended for future CAA requirements)
Electrically operated rudder pedals €5,900
Built in tablet mounts €1,250

United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Verify if you can do the IR training and exam without an ADF. Adding one later is a pain

I had to rent a DA40NG with one to do my IMCr/IR tests when I was in UK, my aircraft had INOP ADF, you can theoretically do without but you won’t be able to get PPR for approach slots with radar ATC being available and the happy examiner, all lined up !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

krisflyer wrote:

I am new to this forum and I just passed my PPL in U.K. I am ordering a DA40 for my hour buildings, IFR training and flying to different part of Europe (with an experience instructor of course). Majority of the flights will be VFR

Haha. I got my PPL in 2007 and ordered a DA40 right after that. It was delivered in 2008. Base price for a G1000 DA40 then was 239,500 EUR :-)

I didn’t get an ADF and never missed it. Not during my IR training or any check ride. Didn’t order it on the subsequent TBM and was just as happy. Now I have two ADFs on the Learjet, but only use them to listen to radio stations :-)

I would skip the storm scope in favor on Connext weather.

I would get the rest of the options that you mentioned. Electric pedals only if you’ll be sharing the plane with others.

Here’s the historical price list:

DA40_TDI_Garmin_G1000_Pricelist_2007_pdf

LPFR, Poland

Here’s what I’d do:
Yes
No
Maybe

Y GFC700 Autopilot/Flight Director €27,900
Y DME €11,700
M ADF €13,000
Y Stormscope €10,900
Y TAS (Traffic Advisory System) €15,600
N Digital standby instruments €6,100 (instead of traditional stby instruments)
Y Synthetic Vision €9,300
Y ADS-B in/out €4,100 (highly recommended for future CAA requirements)
N Electrically operated rudder pedals €5,900
N Built in tablet mounts €1,250

I’d also ask about
Y Garmin Connext Datalink Weather
Y Premium Seat Upholstery

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Y Premium Seat Upholstery

Careful here. The seats in the DA40 are horrendous and if you’re tall – or more precisely have long legs – it can be difficult / impossible to operate the pedals even with their rock-hard standard seats. Adding a cushion may well mean you don’t fit anymore.

Also disagree with the tablet mounts. Prob90 you will want a tablet and going on what all the pilots flying our club DA40 say, there simplky is no good place to mount it.

Snoopy, thank you very much for the valuable input. Appreciate it

loco, WOW, seems you got a good deal in 2007, comparing the price now and then.

United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Also disagree with the tablet mounts. Prob90 you will want a tablet and going on what all the pilots flying our club DA40 say, there simplky is no good place to mount it.

Is it really that important to have an iPad if you have the G1000 NXi in front of you? I’d rather invest in a Flightstream 510 (maybe it comes with it?) and sync your pre planned route to the G1000. Put your iPad away and go fly. The less things cluttering up the cockpit, the better.

For 13.000 euro’s you can rent an aircraft a couple of times if it’s really necessary to have an ADF for a specific (training) flight. Saves you a few (4?) kg as well.

If you doubt about SV, perhaps see if you can find a G1000 equipped aircraft and fly with it. Turn it on and off during flight and make up your mind.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

172driver wrote:

Careful here. The seats in the DA40 are horrendous and if you’re tall – or more precisely have long legs – it can be difficult / impossible to operate the pedals even with their rock-hard standard seats. Adding a cushion may well mean you don’t fit anymore.

The standard seats are too firm and uncomfortable. It’s not really extra cushions but „adjustable pilot seatbacks and lumbar support“ that make a difference!

Also get Airconditioning. The fresh air inlet terrible noise from the wrong NACA vents can be fixed with some tape.

@krisflyer
I’d go over the options in the diamondaviators forum. You’ll get good input there.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 03 Sep 06:35
always learning
LO__, Austria

Ibra wrote:

Agree with everything that is said, but I do not understand this bit? you mean if you are flying an ILS you have to switch SV+FPV OFF?

Who cares how you fly approaches? you are legal as long as the IAP is legal, you stay above it’s minima, you have it’s equipment and equipment is showing no more than 1/2 scale deviation

I guess the implication was precisely about going bellow minima because you can “see” the runway/airport on the screen? :-) Otherwise I also don’t see why it would be ilegal.

EHLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message