Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Used market: "Forgotten" airplane types vs the usual

Same reason why the UK mags have mostly taildraggers on the front cover.

You have to admit the red bi-plane or yellow tailwheel do have a certain universal appeal fir pilots now if Mrs or PAX have the same “attraction to forgotten planes” as nostalgia pilots is a different story, for sure they do enjoy leather & carpets or two open windows in Cirrus or TB20

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Jan 18:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I needed a propellor backplate for my 1967 Bolkow Junior. After contacting a link from @Silvaire, it was despatched within 48 hours. It was one of a batch manufactured in June 2020.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I think it depends vastly on the airplane type as well as on the maintenance facilities which you have available.

e.g. my maintenance shop takes care of quite a few Jodels. First of all because there are some to be taken care of but also because their predecessors used to build them at the very shop. So it is kind of traditional that they can take care of those.

Also some types do have quite a large following and user associations e.t.c. who take care of parts. This is the case for both the Grumanns and not least also vantage Mooneys, which are also not in all cases supported by the factory too well. There is also a Navion association i read about as still quite a few of those planes are flying. Beech Musketeers/Sundowner/Sierras are still supported by Beech.

I had to source new uplock/downlocks for my manual gear, they are not made anymore. Yet, it was totally without a problem to source factory new spec ones within a week, while Hartzell takes 5 months to deliver a standard propeller!

I have the impression that sometimes “exotic” types may be better protected against part shortages via their user clubs than regular types which rely on a manufacturer coming up with parts.

And while this is a very valid issue for any aging plane, it would still be interesting to hear what kind of planes you’d consider for the list we started on this thread.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Not a ‘forgotten’ type as a derivative is still in production, but the E-type Continental engine Bonanza with the electric propeller control is an interesting old timer. This powerplant was used from the original 1947 35 through to the 1956 G35. A G35 owner, Lew Gage, has produced an excellent comprehensive book on the type which is worth reading to give you an idea what a passionate owner might want to know and understand about their own type.

A decent VFR unmolested G35 might be found for around $50k and earlier last year @boscomantico pointed out that a nice D35 was for sale for around $45k (it seems to have being sold into France – ex HB-EGF but haven’t managed to track it down if now on the F-register – anyone know what happened to it?).

These are unprepossessing 145-150 KTAS 11 usgph aircraft (and depending on fuel set up) with relatively short range (2 1/4 hours) as most were only 34 USG useable. The later F and G35 had 19USG aux wing tanks and 44 USG useable standard main tanks, which gave them some more utility. Pre F35 there were fuselage tanks in the baggage area, not ideal.

For some quirk of engineering MTV have produced a propeller which works on the electric governor (not constant speed), and can overhaul the propeller, but not via an STC. I think the D35 mentioned had an MTV propeller. While one-off conversions, these extend the service intervals and propeller TBO, and hopefully will improve the longevity of this old timer.

The E-185 or E-225 Continental, and the Beechcraft electric propeller are the major quirks which require an experienced engineer to keep the type serviced. A ‘solution’ before the MTV arrived, was a back to front hydraulic Hartzell propeller and governor with a complicated AD.

Because a purist E-series Bonanza has an empty weight of 1700-1750 lbs it is the lightest of the series, a ‘straight’ 35 might be closer to 1600 lbs empty, and arguably the most efficient and nicest handling. A late 1980 V35B might weigh in at 2400 lbs empty, and needing tip tanks to get higher gross weight for any useful payload.

They need careful speed management as Vfe is 105 mph and Vle is 120 mph. Stall speed is 55 mph so nearly a Cherokee and giving the type good short field performance, at low density altitude.

Old series ruddervators are reasonably available at around $6k a pair.

There is an F35 on Planecheck, but at an ambitious price, and with the Hartzell conversion

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I was once looking at a C35, which was a great airplane but for the range. I wonder if that one could have gotten tip tanks as well, but with 34 USG usable it just had too short legs.

Pilot und Flugzeug’s Jan Brill owns a D35 with the E225 engine and additional tanks and is apparently very happy with it. It has gotten a new MT prop however.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 08 Jan 13:05

@Mooney_Driver the ‘Waikiki’ Bonanza which flew from Honolulu to Long Beach was a 1947 35 with Dolly Parton tip tanks :)

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/beechcraft-35-bonanza/nasm_A19500080000

RobertL18C wrote:

‘Waikiki’ Bonanza which flew from Honolulu to Long Beach was a 1947 35 with Dolly Parton tip tanks :)

Wow. It did that and more:

As Waikiki Beach, was first light plane to fly non- stop from Hawaii to US mainland, Jan 49. In Mar 49, set another record from Hickam Field HI to Teterboro NJ going non-stop in 36 hrs 1 min.

It doesn’t say if there was a chiropractic available on arrival…

Not quite standard fuel configuration either:

For long distance flights, only modifications made were fixtures and tubing for extra fuel tanks—126-gal tank in cabin and 2 62- gal wing-tip tanks.

If I calculate that together properly… that is around 420 USG total fuel including the mains.

Source

The upgrade to USG44 useable mains happened with the H35 when the IO470 engine was introduced. All the E-series had USG34 useable mains.

Problem with the older E-series Bonanzas is when you need to replace prop and hub, then Hartzell takes you to the cleaners. Actually more like: they take you out behind the shed and shoot you! Last I heard it was $41K.

According to the article linked by @RobertL18C:

The flight was completed at a total cost of less than $75 for fuel and oil.

Honolulu to Teterborough. One can dream….

Sign in to add your message