Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's the latest on the Extra 500?

LSGL

LSGL

What a beauty

EBST, Belgium

The picture is real nice.

I saw it a couple of times in Friedrichshafen. It is a bit weird looking aircraft but …

200kts @ 20Gph Jet @ Turbine @ a large cabin does seem very appealing.
One could say that it scores points for not having to allways fly high.

What I did not understand was the comment that it is small inside. I am 6f6 and could easily sit behind the yoke.
In a PA46 that is totally impossible!!!

Thanks Paolo. Love the pics!

The Extra 500 ticks pretty much all boxes for me. What did put me off though was the substandard autopilot. It comes with an S-TEC 55X which is a rate based POS and totally inadequate for this aircraft. Too bad they never managed to get the DFC-100 certified that would be the logical fit with the Avidyne R9 they installed.

I wonder how the landing gear performs, especially on grass. The prop clearance is very nice but the landing gear is very complex and looks fragile to me.

Agreed the digital DFC-100 would be better but it did not exist at the certification time. But the s-tec is doing a good job.
The landing gear is solid and stable when you land. You feel the a/c stable on ground when you land and I did land in Venice Lido with a grass runway, all fine.

LSGL

I flew the Extra 500 on a demo flight a few years ago at a Cirrus Owners migration in Ohio. I thought it was a solid aircraft with lots of utility, a shame it didn’t sell more.

Paolo – thanks for posting those photos, great to see.

EGKB

I looked at it closely a few times too.

I also know a syndicate, with lots of money, which got close to buying it but AFAIK dropped out because of the perceived uncertain company future. They were going to base it on grass, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There’s a German EA500 for sale now. Price is pretty competitive. I hope it finds a loving owner.

Controller

Sign in to add your message