Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pipistrel Panthera (combined thread)

Nice to see it!

If that engine starting issue was all they had, that's good going. It usually takes longer than that to start an engine even just after the fuel filter has been changed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is it just me or does its tail look very low? Might just be because of the very narrow section ahead of it.

EGTK Oxford

It seems normal in this one

Administrator

But look at the video when taxiing fast.

EGTK Oxford

Maiden flight

Administrator

What a wonderful design.. It is such a joy to see small, innovative and ambitious companies at work. I sincerely hope they succeed with this design, although the specs seem maybe a bit too ambitious. But even at 180 KTAS -at altitude- this would be a great product.

I now see from the video that there is a center bar against the windshield. So the forward visibility - with the extremely raked windshield- may be a bit limited.

The other thing that would interest me a lot are the Vspeeds. Let's face it, aviation is full of trade offs. You can design something very sleek, but what about stall speed and handling at low speed?

I really hope Pipistrel is well funded or on its way to become financially stable, because that is another important factor before one plunges €€€'s into buying one.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Maybe they will fly it to Friedrichshafen in 2 weeks?

Integrated oxygen, TKS and the SMA diesel and it would be an unbeatable package. The SMA would even deliver more power than the IO390.

While I personally wouldn't be in the market for a Panthera, I'm rooting for these guys to succeed big time. Light GA desperately needs innovators like these.

The basic Cirrus & Diamond DA40 designs are close to 15 years old by now; Pipistrel could conceivably shape the next generation of modern airframe design.

Re. forward visibility - try the high res video; it actually looks like visibility is pretty good. Cabin does seem a bit tight though.

I'm a bit curious how they are able to achieve such stunning advances in drag reduction. Improving on the baseline Cirrus & Diamond airframes, both of which are fairly low drag, you're really talking diminishing returns. Sure, it's a retract which should gain a few extra knots. But still.

It does seem like a very light airframe. Empty weight around 680 kg? And coupled with a 210 hp Lycosaur, then maybe...

Only major complaint is the avgas engine. For a new european aircraft, in this day & age? However, their roadmap does specify a hybrid & full-electric eventually, which would be revolutionary...

I'm a bit curious how they are able to achieve such stunning advances in drag reduction. Improving on the baseline Cirrus & Diamond airframes, both of which are fairly low drag, you're really talking diminishing returns.

Neither the Cirrus nor Diamond airplanes gain anything from their composite structure. They are even heavier than the old all metal Cessna and Piper designs. In addition they are fixed gear. Diamond didn't really have the competence and/or financial means to focus on aerodynamics. The improved DA42 doesn't deserve praise, it's more a shame how inefficient the previous model is.

Nice :)

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message