Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pipistrel Panthera (combined thread)

I wasn't really interested in aviation before I could buy the aircraft I was to fly, with cash and no partners

Yeah, nothing but old farts around I'm member of our local aero-club (because I once stole water from their tap when I wanted to wash my aircraft and they saw me and made me join) and discussion topic #1 at any reunion is problems with the medical + some story how they almost entered a cloud in 1975 and what the airport controller told them after a landing in 1982.

I'm by far the youngest aircraft owner at the field and if I limit it to people that fly IFR, there are about 20 years between myself (35) and the 2nd youngest...

I bought my first aircraft late, at age 38 for $23K US. I still have it, plus a second that I bought 7 years later for $35K.

The guy who taught me to fly bought his first (a Cessna 140) at age 18, about twenty years ago... With the idea of making extra money doing tail wheel transition training for others :-) He now has a Pitts and a Citabria.

Yeah, nothing but old farts around

A lot of current truth in that, but I can't see why it should be, because a clever hard working person in their 20s can be on €30k, and they are probably still living with their parents. He or she can certainly afford to fly at a pretty good level. OK, not buying a €200k IFR tourer but loads of lighter stuff is affordable, especially in a syndicate.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

because a clever hard working person in their 20s can be on €30k, and they are probably still living with their parents.

I don't think that's quite true. Admittedly working in the city skews one's perceptions, but quite a few bright young people in technology, banking, medicine etc are earning very good money these days. The real problem is that those young people who are earning high salaries are also working very hard and have little energy left for something that takes up so much time and effort.

I know lots of people under 30 who could afford to fly. I've taken many of them up - they all enjoy the experience and many of them are fascinated by the technical aspects of it. Exactly one is interested investing the time to complete a PPL. This is just an observation - I don't know what can be done about it.

While I am somewhat outside the bell curve, I'm nothing compared to my girlfriend (who was due to start her lessons tomorrow). She is very keen to fly, but much less keen on the culture surrounding it. Her main complaint is the 7 (she keeps count) times we have arrived at an airfield and people have come over to say hello to me and discuss "flying things": and entirely blanked her.

EGEO

but quite a few bright young people in technology, banking, medicine etc are earning very good money these days

That was actually what I meant by 30k

She is very keen to fly, but much less keen on the culture surrounding it.

I think that is the biggest reason why young people are not interested in GA. The social scene is generally not there, the planes are mostly decrepit, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The clever young 28 year old engineer who is the junior guy in my bunch could save 10% of his pay and buy a very clean Grumman AA-1 locally in 4 years. Not IFR, not fancy, but well maintained, presentable and fun. Once he bought it, a hangar would cost less than he's been saving. An RV4 might be even better, if more expensive and he'd need something else to learn in.

He occasionally bugs me to take him flying, and I think I should do it! Promoting aircraft ownership is what we should be doing, everybody cares more when they're bought in. Plus, young people with a good attitude can have a big advantage when it comes to maintaining an aircraft they own.... hereabouts its not uncommon for others, including others with mechanics certificates, to help them for free. The same would I'm sure be applicable in Europe, although probably restricted to 'permit' aircraft.

BTW when taking a woman with me to the airport, I've found I have a lot of new old friends - but after saying hello, I find it's me they ignore :-)

Pipistrel flew the Panthera to Friedrichshafen. That is very impressive, hats off to this company!

Link to AVweb video...

They mention a 2013 price of EUR385k for the self-build kit & EUR470k for the certified version. (ready for delivery in 2017) Slightly pricey perhaps.

Also it'll fly on mogas, leaving it independent of avgas availability.

After reading this I am confused about Mogas.

So what's the deal here?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message