Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Views on DA40

gladiators of the sky who post on this forum

I shall now retire to a sandbagged emplacement and await the incoming from the owners who’s opinion differs from mine

If you want to see examples of some of this

I suggest you take up skiing and look on ski forums

We are a lot more civilised here…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois always helpful to mention to pax that we are flying a very light, underpowered and fragile aircraft

I agree on Robin beats DA40 (even SR20) in many flying aspects (assuming you fly LoP and don’t care about avionics, the look and visibility is modern on all 3) but yes if one is talking purely speed vs horse power nothing will come closer to a Mooney (but it is RG)

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Jan 12:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I agree on Robin beats DA40

Maybe or maybe not, but not much help to the OP since Robins are practically unknown in the US. I think they’re a bit of an acquired taste, based on my own few hours in them at LFBZ. I remember one of them in particular whose panel seemed to have been built by throwing things at it and fastening them where they landed.

LFMD, France

Won’t see many Robins in the US, due to lack of an FAA TC. This in turn causes huge problems for any avionics upgrades, in Europe.

Posts moved to a previous identical thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AFAIK only Robins certified in the US are the all metal versions, eg. R2160. A few were imported when new.

We had the Thielert DA-40 with G1000 as a club aircraft for 7 years and flew it with 40+ different pilots around 1500 hours. It stood up to the task very well and was very popular. I know the howl from the front vents, but Denmark not being South California we usually closed the front vents and managed by directing the small overhead vents for the rear seat passengers forward to hit us in the front. The tip from @flyingfish is noted, though. The DA-40 is one of the most well-mannered types I have flown, at the same time being stable, forgiving and maneuverable. Obviously visibility is also excellent, another safety factor. While the comfort is adequate if you are not too tall, the cockpit is not roomy and there is no good place for your approach chart. Loading capability of the Thielert version is limited and so is initial climb performance; however, it will take you to FL180 if you are patient and only two gladiators on board.
I found rain having only slight influence while the slightest layer of rime ice was immediately noticeable on cruise and climb performance. Having only 135 HP for a relatively heavy airframe has its limitations; another is that take-off from a grass strip that is just a little soft can be a problem.
We broke two propellers; one pilot tried to start the engine with the tow-bar attached; and one pilot landed on a strip in a crosswind that the pilot was not up to, and ended in the rough safety zone. The aircraft itself has very good cross-wind capabilities, although you have to watch for the brakes heating up if taxiing long distances in strong crosswinds (no nosewheel steering).
While it has cost two props, no engine shock loadings were necessary because of the safety clutch in the reduction gear for the diesel engine.
We lost the aircraft last summer in a serious accident with a pilot going low on an ILS in dense fog and hitting trees. A lot of factors were at play here, but suffice in this context to mention that the aircraft protected the two persons onboard very well in the violent crash.

Last Edited by huv at 12 Jan 11:30
huv
EKRK, Denmark

gallois wrote:

My sincere apologies to anyone I offended with my “fat bloke” comment.

If you think of me I am not offended at all. Cfr the in my post.
It’s a fact that I am 110kg (but also 1m93) and that I have troubles with the W&B of the Diesel DA40 I fly with if it is not a girl sitting next to me…

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

@jfw do you sit comfortably in the DA-40 being so tall?

I know the CoG problem but to my experience it is more easy in our PA-28 trainers than it was in the DA-40, to run into the too-far-forward CoG.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

@huv it is ok. I personally prefer the pa28 regarding space. Also the DA40NG is less confortable (headset in the canopy) but non NG seems fine if you do not stick your neck out. I would have appreciated 5-10cm more legspace but once accommodated you are just fine.

Last Edited by jfw at 13 Jan 14:35
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Ok jkw. To others it should perhaps be pointed out that the seats are not adjustable, not even fore-aft, the only adjustment being the pedals.

The latest issue of The Aviation Consumer (January 2020) has a 9-page feature on the DA-40, covering type history, ownership, everyday use – and a full page about the astonishing safety record this type has. The feature focuses on the Lycoming versions.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message