Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Views on DA40

Having done the transition from a C172 and PA28 to a DA40, I can tell you that the transition is relatively straightforward. Also maintenance is very straightforward, just make sure you have identified a Diamond Service Center near you so you have a relationship with someone for an AOG situation if that were to occur.

The more time-consuming part for me was the transition to the G1000 glass cockpit as I wasn’t used to a glass cockpit before. The DA40 is a very forgiving aircraft in general and gives you 140-145 kts TAS instead of 120-125 kts TAS in a C172/PA28 for essentially the same fuel burn as it is a significantly more aerodynamically optimised version of a C172/PA28 but using de facto the same type of engine and HP. One thing that the DA40 is much less forgiving about is being too fast on approach, with the approach speed varying in the AFM for different total aircraft weights. If you are just 5 kts too fast, you end up floating much more.

I have owned a DA40 since 2013 and am very satisfied by the G1000/GFC700 IFR capabilities and the speed vs fuel burn ratio. Main minus points for me are (1) no TKS/FIKI AND (2) that due to the aerodynamic optimisation, performance quickly deteriorates in rain and with icing. Flying in rain, TAS is quite quickly 10 kts lower and impact of just light rime icing is similar.

I suggest checking out http://www.diamondaviators.net where there are various postings about pilots who have transitioned to a DA40 and for questions on maintenance etc.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 08 Jan 12:49
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

The things I like about the DA40 stem mostly from the fadec engine (single lever, turbo, starts like a car, electronically protected against abuse, low consumption and good range) so doesn’t apply to the one you‘d get.

Apart from that I simply like the way it flies (benign handling, stable in spite of low wing loading). It’s also rather quick at 140 TAS (AE diesel). I don’t see an issue there in a club environment at all. Coming from Cessnas it just takes a bit to adapt to an aerodynamically cleaner plane overall and to a bit more ground effect during landing but that’s it.

The visibility is superb for a low wing. With the engine off the bubble canopy is comfortable even in winter during freezing temps so imagine how hot it will get in sunny California.

Would I get one in the states? Probably not! Depends on the other contenders and what it will primarily be used for.

Diamond did a good job with the DA40. Accident statistics apparently rate is as the safest 4 seat SEP.

always learning
LO__, Austria

My A&P says if he got a DA40 it would be the Lyco engined version every time. I can’t speak from experience but he has spent years working on these.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interior room is tight for taller pilots. I find the seats poor at best, but with an extra cushion get comfortable enough.

It flies like a motor glider, high aspect ratio wing providing good speed and ceiling but non sporty handling. Not challenging, fine for a club.

Mechanicals (O-360, prop, brakes etc) are practical and straightforward to maintain.

Outside storage of a composite airframe in 300 days of sun per year would not be my choice, but I’m sure it’s done.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jan 14:40

Happy to put my 4 cents (two per aircraft) in the pot.
I have 1’000 hours on two DA40s and absolutely loved it.

The DA40 is in my opinion the best aircraft Diamond ever made.
With the Lycoming engine, it is a very good choice in the US.
Had Christian Dries not essentially killed the AVGAS burning version, it would have threatened the SR22’s dominance.

The DA40 is a very solidly built airframe, it can take the punishment of being parked on the ramp all right.
Precautions such as making sure the drains are free and preventing excess humidity are required.
Its maintenance is easy. You need a good avionics shop to deal with G1000 quirks.

In a club environment it will excel in the role of the travelling machine, because it is much more efficient, faster and offers a more pleasant cabin and visibility vs the 172.
With the powerflow exhaust option, you have a 145 knot plane on 9.5 GPH at 9’000 ft or so.
But not only that: this airplane is a toy that makes you feel free as a bird if you like gentlemen’s aerobatics. It loves being hurtled around and I have fond memories of these moments.
The instrument panel is a thing of beauty and, in combination with the center stick, it makes you feel like you are flying a much more sophisticated aircraft.
The landing gear is tough and I know of no gear collapses despite the plane taking a lot of punishment in flight schools.

This only applies to the -180 version: it is so safe i would call it “suicide proof”.
When I was more junior, I once let my airspeed drop dangerously low in the turn to final. Controls became mushy, but that’s all and I am here to tell.
I once tried a fast dive, as the plane approached Vne, the nose-up force grew so strong that I ran out of muscle!
No other plane has such a sophisticated fuel system to prevent post crash fires.

Drawbacks:
- Payload: DA40 G1000 planes are 3 PAX aircraft
- The G1000 has become a major liability and a dead end in older planes (WAAS upgrade, ADS-B, software updates etc…)
- Some people complain about seat padding being uncomfortable, but I did not have the problem. There are solutions from Oregon Aero
- Instrument panel vents are very noisy
- Design issue with the nose gear – this castoring system can easily end up pointing left or right in flight, causing imbalance and a 5 knot speed loss.
- Combination of Metric and US tooling required. Spare parts not as easily accessible as for a 172.

The only Diesel version that can compete with the Lycoming powered DA40 is in my opinion the CD-155.

Last Edited by Flyingfish at 08 Jan 14:56
LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I think you will get grilled every time you fly it in southern California.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Southern California is a hotbed of activity for aircraft with bubble canopies, RVs etc, and I think the only issue with the DA40 in that regard is the loud ventilation system mentioned by Flyingfish which seems to overwhelm the squelch on the intercom and so on.

My local US friend has for 10 years used his predominantly for (typically) 500 mile cross country weekend flights carrying he and his wife, plus flights giving his PhD students local rides. Its an efficient platform that that flying but for some people its just not quite roomy enough in front.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jan 18:11

the loud ventilation system

It’s a sound from hell. I wonder if it can be dampened somehow.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The only views I have on DA40 it has nice views

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

It’s a sound from hell. I wonder if it can be dampened somehow.

The noise is caused by a mismatched NACA air inlet and ducting. The inlet is too big.
The inlet itself has a longitudinal splitter vane.
Cover half of the inlet with some tape and you get the following effect:
- more airflow (!)
- less noise, enough that it is no longer is an issue

i did exactly that and then one day had to make an emergency landing because of suspicious noise – the tape had gone loose.
Lesson learnt. Tape is not a long term fix.
Make a fiberglass plug and, once tested, glue it in place.

Last Edited by Flyingfish at 09 Jan 10:33
LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message