Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piaggio introduces the new Avanti P180 EVO.

JasonC wrote:

Adam, panel looks great. But that performance is poor for a proper jet. What did he pay for the aircraft and upgrades in total? If it was cheaper than a Mustang then fair enough.

He’s less than a million into it after panel. Speeds compare favorably with some of the VLJ’s, but obviously not the bigger jets. But if you compare cabin size, then it’s hard to beat in the sub 12500lbs category -I don’t think there’s a single jet there that has bigger cabin.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 06 Feb 05:20

Haha, Adam, what a coincidence. I got a ride in one too, yesterday. Unfortunately I have no friends with Piaggios and had to charter. We flew from Poland to Sicily. A 1000NM flight. I only got in the front during cruise and had a chat with the PIC who had 1500 hours on type.

It was a 2000 year plane with over 6000hrs, refurbished interior and mostly original avionics. The cabin was far from whisper quiet and our ears popped during the takeoff run. Loudest noise was the door seal hissing, but engines not far behind. Speaking in the back required rising our voice. We had cabinets opening from light turbulence, some panels detaching and the overall impression was pretty bad. Wife said she really likes our TBM after the flight. On the good side, Captain said he never had major failures, but small things come up often like, for example, no three greens on landing gear extension. He just watches hydraulic pressure to know if gears extended or not and all is fine :)) Another thing is parts availability. He told me of one plane being grounded two years for corrosion.

What I liked most about the plane was 5000ft cabin altitude at F350. TBM is pretty bad in that regard.

Guess I’ll have to fly a less used one to be sure, but for now it’s not something I’d get into.

LPFR, Poland

Ioco – the door seal hissing was the loudest part on this one as well – apparently a common problem with that split door. My guy puts a rag at the bottom of it to reduce it and it helps a little. As for loudness, I didn’t sit in the back, but since it’s much closer to the engines there, it makes sense it would be louder. But up front it was very quiet. We used the overhead speaker for communication with ATC and I have never been able to do that in any kind of prop plane before.

What’s wrong with your TBM?

He just watches hydraulic pressure to know if gears extended or not and all is fine :))

That says a lot about the maintenance and care they (?) grant to that plane. I flew the sixpack version and the glass cockpit ones in 2006/2007 and can only confirm that they are quiet inside. No problems with the door seals. No need to rise voices to communicate in the cabin. What I missed was anti-skid (evo finally got it) and more room for the pilots in the cockpit.

EDxx, Germany

AdamFrisch wrote:

What’s wrong with your TBM?

All is fine. We just passed 1000h and the plane performed perfectly. A few small problems, but all fixed promptly. It just gets a little tight when I take kids, grandparents and my Lab. Piaggio is 3x cabin volume.

Last Edited by loco at 06 Feb 18:50
LPFR, Poland

Hi Adam,

awesome report and a nice plane, had the chance to sit in one on the ground, but never left the ground. :-(

I am wondering if you know if the original autopilot is installed (seems so, as the glare has its controls) with the G3X upgrade and how this is coupled. The reason I am asking is, that it seems the right G3X is not synchronized with the bugs and I am curious if you can feed it from both sides with a switch or at least synch them.

Have fun flying,
Tobias

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Yes, it still has original autopilot. As of now, to be able to fly in RSVM space, you need specific altitude curves from the manufacturer programmed into the Garmin to be able to legally have it run the autopilot in RSVM space. These have not yet been published by Piaggio, so for now the certified analog altimeter is what’s driving the a/p. Both the TXi’s are synced together, but not with the analog altimeter.

Honestly, it was almost no extra workload anyway, if it had been my plane I wouldn’t even have bothered chasing the upgrade. But he wants those instruments out and as much glass as possible.

Silvaire wrote:

I once heard a funny noise in Latina, Italy and ran outside to see one of those, operated by the Italian Air Force, inbound to the base at good speed and under 1000 feet (typical Italian VFR). From that my comment is that the sound of one resembles the sound of the other!

They call it the flying table saw!

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 08 Feb 01:02

AdamFrisch wrote:

specific altitude curves

What does that mean? Altimeter calibration data?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And are the IAS, VS and ALT bugs between the analog instruments and the G3X coupled as well?

What happened to the original MCDU, was it removed in lieu of the GTNs?

I am just curious to understand what happens behind the panel as I thought a lot of those higher end installations might not be upgradeable. In the end it seems a lot is possible and with the latest products from Garmin and additions to the existing hardware capabilities it might be even more.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

I think that over the years a lot of people, given the copious funding available in that market, paid someone to produce a custom STC for some Garmin box. A lot of G600 installs were done that way. From what I’ve read in the US they are done without any Garmin help or indeed any involvement at all (probably a DER job). As an example, one pilot who used to be here years ago, Achim, bought an early TBM850 on which the old stuff was replaced (by the previous owner) with two G600s.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message