Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do Beech Bonanzas have such a strong following?

BB I fully concur with your observations. I even went further… I recently purchased a midlife spare engine for a reasonable price in order to keep on going for many years. Though mine now has 1600 Hrs overhauled in 1979 (Non VAR crank) and is running great (1 quart for 20 Hrs or so…)..Sometimes it’s better to keep what you have as with an other airframe things may start all over again…maybe not on the avionics part but airframe wise…When looking at my bird the trigger was for me the descent Auto Pilot retrofitting that is mega euro’s..all the rest the choices are plenty full…and upgradable.. The A36 is a very good choice …specially if the kids gain more weight..
Indeed when arriving in Hungary I noticed some interest as these V birds are not so common there….
In terms of A/P’s I would suggest KFC150/200 are good C41/2000 more newer STEC55 STEC50 has no approach mode to be coupled when flying later on ILS/LPV

EBST

Thanks Vref, good info on the avionics. I have been offered a non equity share in a Glass SR20, which actually may fit the bill. Keep my V tail, gradually upgrade, and use the Cirrus for when I need the heavier aspect of IR flight. I vist this debate with myself on sell/upgrade every year or so…

Thanks Anthony, will get to see your new Mooney next weekend I hope. Up in ABZ for the weekend.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Would still prefer to sit in a Beech with less then ideal avionics then sitting in a SR20 full glass…with a a critical wing no TKS in around 0 degrees and clouds…

EBST

There’s always the chute. Hold it, am I being lulled into a false sense of security…….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

..Okay every time you enter light icing you’re going to pull…that will seriously increase your insurance premium..no..? Just kidding..

EBST

12.5 GPH 145 IAS

That’s not particularly special. It is a performance lever which I recognise myself, though I would be 120F ROP to achieve it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

..but you have GAMI’s…and I much more fresh engine…and forgot to mention at 8000 Feet btw the TB20 maybe 5 to 10Kts diffrence..?

Last Edited by Vref at 08 Jun 14:42
EBST

GAMIs don’t make a plane go faster. All they do is – on an engine with badly matched injectors – they enable it to run peak EGT or LOP without getting too rough. If you run ROP (like historically everybody did) they won’t make any difference.

I would expect the A36 to be similar to other similar sized retractables in MPG. But it is bigger than a lot of them so if it achieves the same MPG that is very good.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bonanzas are like RVs and C172s, they built are a lot of them for good reason and the volume of aircraft means a lot of people are interested in them. The earliest ones are cool too, in their own way: 9 gph and pretty fast for 1947.

Tangent alert: I’m watching a fabric covered, wood winged Bellanca Viking doing 168 kts GS at 9500 ft as I write this, IFR. A nice one can be bought for $50K. You might have do something or other with the panel

Link

GAMIs don’t make a plane go faster.

No for sure… but then I could have said 11.5 GPH doing 145 IAS.@8000.. the A36 is a bit slower then a Vtail …more drag..

Last Edited by Vref at 08 Jun 15:02
EBST
Sign in to add your message