Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus Jet (combined thread)

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 18 Jul 05:46
EDLE, Netherlands

@Mooney_Driver: that would be great.

EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

I searched around for G3000 simulator software, but could not find anything other than a training course (by Garmin) not being a simulator that you can play with on your computer. X-Plane has a Cirrus Jet model, but it does not include the G3000 avionics. I also cannot find anywhere online the POH of the SF50. The way I would prefer to work on the type rating is to study the POH at home inside-out, play at home with G3000 simulator software (or alternatively do the Garmin G3000 course), then skip the boring and long theory classroom days and go straight into the SF50 simulator and when proficient, fly the actual SF50 jet.

I think that is the wrong way to think about it. If you are flying a high altitude jet you should do the theory.

EGTK Oxford

@JasonC: I am not saying that I do not want to do the theory. I understood from Aero Poznan that it is 4 days of presenting on a beamer one slide after the other information about the aircraft, its systems and engine, principles of the jet engine, etc. What I would prefer is to study this at home and then to review them with the instructor and do an exam either in-house or online. We all have our own style of learning and I can’t imagine enjoying myself 4 days in a row going through hundreds of slides.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 18 Jul 11:54
EDLE, Netherlands

Thanks for posting the pictures! I like it more inside than out.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I guess it won’t be very helpful if I say that I have both the SF50 POH (actually PIM) and G3000 trainer but can’t share either. If you have specific questions, maybe I could help. It’s a bit strange. PIM should be linked on their homepage..

Last Edited by loco at 20 Jul 16:41
LPFR, Poland

Why do Cirrus treat the POH like a secret? A bit silly, really.

Biggin Hill

Well, there has been criticism on the range of the jet before it even got released. The figures I got from several pilot reports are in the vicinity of 300 kts @ 65 GPH with 295 USG usable. Climb is flown at 160 KIAS and 75 GPH and about 1500-2000 fpm, so FL280 should be reachable in about 20 minutes and use about 25-28 USG. 160 KIAS down low will result in about 250 KTAS at FL280, so an average of about 210 KTAS on the way up which results in about 70 NM downrange at TOC.

Assuming 265 USG FOB at TOC, we will need about 1 hour reserve @ 65 GPH so for cruise we would have 200 USG available. With 65 GPH that means almost exactly 3 hours of cruise time which @ 300 KTAS will translate into 900 NM plus the 70 in climb to overhead any destination. While descent will probably be a bit less fuel consuming it will give a rough 1000 NM range if the tanks can be filled and not too much wasted pre-take off and in step climbs.

However, full fuel payload is only 225 kgs. That is 2 standard adults and some baggage. Total useful load is 2500 lb / 1133 kg. 7 standard adults way close to 600 kg with some handluggage so that would leave 533kg / 195 USG of fuel. Using the same calcs as above, we’d end up with 100 USG for the trip, which would allow roughly 500 NM flights with that sort of load. One report speaks of a sweet spot of 800 lb load giving 800 NM range.

800 lb is pretty much what we can take in a SR22. If we are going to be carrying 4 people which means roughly 400 kgs with ample baggage we can still load 270 USG of fuel, which in turn would allow a 850 NM trip.

Well, Cirrus, if those figures are too conservative, let us have the POH :)

But seriously: 1000 NM in roughly 3:20 with 2, 800 NM in 3 hours is still a very attractive proposition…. comparing to how long our usual rides take for this kind of trip and what they can carry. A Mooney Acclaim will carry 4 people 1000 NM in roughly 4 hours 30 but to do so requires a substantial amount of oxygen, most other 4 seater GA’s will take considerably longer and mostly won’t be able to carry 4 people over that distance at all. Add pressurisation and jet safety and yea, I could be convinced if I ever win the Euromillions…

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 20 Jul 22:18
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I wonder what do actual aircraft weigh. For example my aircraft is 100kg heavier than POH due to options. I don’t expect it to be 100kg for the Cirrus, but there will likely be some difference.

LPFR, Poland

I don’t think it’s a huge secret – it HAS bad range and SLOW speed to get that range (hell, a Commander will outspeed it, outcarry it, and outrange it whilst burning less in total). But that doesn’t mean Cirrus hasn’t done a great job and captured the hearts and minds of the intended market. And that’s all they need to do – that’s how you succeed in aviation. It’s gonna be a success and my hat’s off to them. And just like HondaJet did about 2 years after their release with the Elite, I’m sure they’ll introduce an SF50+ in a few years that adds a few hundred more in payload and a longer range.

Sign in to add your message