Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus Jet (combined thread)

It’s standard practise to configure latest 3 months before delivery in this aircraft position Ponzi aehm option scheme…

I know one person hoping for delivery of his SF50 this January. While the M600 looks a very nice refinement, I can see the SF50 being a practical success at the proposed price point. Designing for a 600nm NBAA IFR reserves with decent payload at this price point is no trivial achievement.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Reading this thread, I decided to look at the Cirrus website to understand the differences between the SF50 and the airplanes I know well such as the TBM, PC12, Jetprop.

I did not find enough data to satisfy my appetite. Would any of you have these details?

Tas of 300 kts: At what Flight level? Fuel burn at that speed?
Tas and fuel burn at FL280?

Max payload seems to be around 1200 lbs so if you fuel up, you are left with about 400 lbs to fly about 1000 nm at max cruise or 1200 nm at 210 kts: I find the speed gap between max and economy cruise to be huge for 200 nm. I am therefore wondering what fuel burn we will see at FL100, FL180, FL240, FL260 as well.

As a consequence, I am curious to find out what the climb rate will be as it is not published.

I also would like to know if there is a yellow arc and VMO on this airplane. Being a TBM pilot, with no yellow arc and 262 kts VMO, I am quite sensitive to this: I like the solid feel and I hate having to slow down in descent (which is the case in all other SET such as Jetprop, Meridian and PC12).

I also wonder what will be weight consequence of the options that make sense. It will further reduce the payload for sure but by how much? Cirrus_Man cramped in the TBM cockpit will most likely be left with one light adult pax and a travel bag. If he travels with his friend and wife to go someplace for the weekend, my quick calculation leads me to think that if they take off from London they can not go to Spain, South of France at best. Take two more pax to compare with with the TBM and they are are not going anywhere at all.

From what I can see, it looks like the luggage compartment only accessible from outside has a relatively small door. I can think of many bags I have loaded on SET that will not fit through. I also wonder that is the max allowed weight for that compartment.

I also wonder what PSI you get on the pressurization to better understand cabin comfort.

Thank you!

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

Cirrus has not released the fuel burn figures but the preliminary figures I saw indicate a fuel burn of 60gph at FL280 and 300kts TAS. Other aircraft are much more efficient but when you think that they will cost you more than $1 million more….that buys a hell of a lot of Jet A.

I believe they will get RVSM certification after certification as this is just too big a can of worms to slow down the FAA certifcation process. They want to complete certification asap and start making deliveries.

I am hoping they will get RVSM and FL 330 in Series 2 where the engine will be much more efficient.

Cirrus have updated the payload info and latest number I have seen is 550 lbs payload with full fuel so not as bad as the initial 400 lbs that was on the website.

5 comfortable adult seats plus 2 child seats 7 seats total (child seats weight limited to 90lbs I believe)

I think the luggage compartment is accessable from the passenger area and the weight limit is 300 lbs. I have seen it and it looks pretty big to me. Certainly enough room for luggage for 4 adults plus. A ski tube will also be an option and there will be additional luggage space in the nose.

Very good point on the impact of the options on weight. I dont know, we will have to see.

I think pressurisation will be at 8,000.

I think you will end up with an NBAA IFR range with 4 adults plus luggage of about 800 miles which means Madrid, Majorca, Corsica etc all within range.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Hi Cirrus_Man,

I would question the 300 KTS at FL280 on 60 gph…I have a feeling you might see the fuel burn but not the speed at that level. Wait and see.

RVSM is a nice option to top off weather in Europe but pressurization (and perhaps supplemental oxygen access) will come into play besides simply avionics so if you get an early SF50, no RVSM…Will a retrofit be in the plans?

550 lbs payload is better than 400 lbs but still gets you nowhere with 5 adults and + 2 children.

I gave more thoughts to the luggage compartment and I guess it is unlikely to be accessible both from the outside and from the inside of the airplane unless it is pressurized and I doubt that. 300 LBS would be nice but again the door is small (at least on the website)

It would be nice to see a range increase because now it is around the 500NM mark. How and when will this be improved by 300 NM? It is a lot…

Deliveries are planned in a quarter and I am surprised detailed specs are still vague.

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

davidfabry wrote:

Deliveries are planned in a quarter and I am surprised detailed specs are still vague.

Very true, since it’s highly unlikely that any significant change would come about this late in the cert process.

PS: I find it incredible that there are hundreds of people dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars on deposits on an plane without a clue if it can fulfill their mission !

Last Edited by Michael at 22 Oct 10:22
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I find it incredible that there are hundreds of people dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars on deposits on an plane without a clue if it can fulfill their mission !

Greed works

Eclipse “VLJ”, anyone?

Avidyne IFD540, anyone?

There is no issue with it providing it doesn’t change your life if you lose the money.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They will always be able to sell those contracts without losing money – but there’s a big chance they will actually MAKE some money. So where’s the risk?

Yes I think that the first deliveries will be delayed by a quarter (hey who knows), but I guess that is to be expected when trying to certify a new jet (and the first single engine jet and the first jet with a parachute !) Those are a lot of firsts and that does not speed up the certification process.

Regarding payload, I think the old numbers on the website showed an NBAA IFR range of about 800 miles with a payload of 800 lbs at 300kts high speed cruise(quite a bit farther at economy cruise but I just dont see anyone using economy cruise of 220kts). If the payload is now 950 lbs(150 increase) then it ticks the boxes, certainly for 2 couples plus baggage.

I guess we wont have long to find out re engine data as this data should be released before christmas. I think they will definitely get the 300kts high speed cruise as I have heard that the leading edge de-icing boots more efficient aerodynamically than forecast.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

If there is no downside at all, I will take half a dozen. How much are they?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message