Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus Jet (combined thread)

Thanks Jason. The only ATs I know are in Billy B’s good old planes from Seattle (uhm I mean South Carolina) so I might have a misleading comparison in mind concerning the vision jet.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Any second hand ones coming to the market soon?

Apart from this LegacyCirrusJet

The Auto-Throttle is probably their gateway for Auto-Land in their next batch release, if they get that trough they only need some VNAV capabilities and radio/radar altimeters?

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Jan 23:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Haha it’s Cirrus so you never know. Seriously though I doubt Cirrus will ever go fail safe/fail operational with the vision jet, unless regulations bring substantial decrease in required equipment capabilities.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@JasonC
I recently get type rated on a fairly modern jet with auto throttle. I think that is a really good safety device… For climb it’s recommended to use FLCH (Flight Level Change).
Good at the point that we never disconnect it. He even “retard” at 30ft…

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

They don’t work like they do in an Airbus or Boeing

In what way?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Snoopy I think they can sell a lot of features on top of it: auto-land, envelope protection, terrain avoidance, fuel economy….

But JasonC has a valid point that if Cirrus get very good at this automation then their pilots need to spend lot of hours doing the “boring sim flyinh” and reding the “boring code cods” to get used to aircraft performance and auto-pilot modes and how they couple with auto-trottle in normal and emergency situations (if you auto-land on vertical guidance with turbulence does auto-trottle kicks in? Do you get a stall/terrain protection when you deviate from speed/path?), everybody like reading POH but few of us will looks at autopilot testing notes…

I don’t think computer programs (=software developers) knows which one is important when getting close to the ground the target ASI speed or the ILS glide slope? remember we are talking fully automated and single pilot operating in a new mission everytime…

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Jan 08:13

@ibra
Don’t know how the autothrottle in the cirrus works but on the bigger jets these issues are dealt with since 30 years. I personally don’t need autothrottle (I enjoy flying seps without automation) but the ones I’ve seen work very well in all situations (up to one engine out cat3b autoland, no sweat).

Is Cirrus autothrottle or autothrust (non moving thrust levers)?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes, get that trottle to work for auto-land with one engine out then you will have a redundant parachute system, ah forgot it is a single engine jet lol

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Jan 09:18

Peter wrote:

Autothrottle is quite impressive
I read somewhere the autothrottle was developped with Garmin, so it will be interesting to see if it pops up in other G3000-equiped planes.

ESMK, Sweden

after 45 years of flying at least 15 different airplanes without autothrottles I still have difficulty understanding the need for A/T in small jets/turbo airplanes
as noted by someone else on beechtalk the hand that controls the throttle stays in position for a few minutes during take off and during landing and does not get touched the rest of the flight
why go to serious expense and possible malfunctions for a simple system? my own 5 cents I believe he is right

KHQZ, United States
Sign in to add your message