Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Aerospatiale" Trinidad video review

Interesting review of the TB series from ABC’s “Wonderful World of Flying” show. This is the 1980s at its best:

Thanks for that video, Kerwin. Didn’t see it before.

EDxx, Germany

That’s a fun video, thanks for the link. I wonder how many they eventually sold in the US? I remember when the Socata piston singles were perceived as taking over the U.S. market. Then as with seemingly every wave of sales in GA worldwide, that one too faded gently into the scenery.

“reminiscent of a plush Peugeot”

I suppose there weren’t that many plush Peugeots sold in the US either…

Socata planes sold better, but there was a short push to sell “Plush Peugeots” at about the same time. I remember test driving one (a 505STX V6) and liking it.

The TB20 cockpit is from Renault though, only slightly adjusted. I like the landing gear lever most.

I will watch the video when I have an hour to spare but you can get an idea of US sales from here

About 2000 TBs were made, of which perhaps 1500 are still “around”.

A wild guess is that Socata sold about 500 in the USA, in total.

Unfortunately their marketing was poor and Americans are no different to most other countries in that they don’t like a product which is poorly represented locally. Today, you mention a Socata TB to some American pilot and he probably has heard of it but can’t think of what one looks like.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great Videos, thanks!

@Peter You don’t need an hour to spare, the TB-Part is about 17 Minutes. Other topics are funny, sometimes quite outdated. Here’s a TOC

V.1 Piper Malibu, Takeoff Techniques, Engine Controls Rigged Right?, Sentimental Journey-The B17, Switching Tanks Safely, Flying the Lancair
V.2 Mooney 252, Morning Sickness, Argus 5000, ATC at Oshkosh, Avisit to Rhinebeck, NY, Touring AOPA, Lear Jet (Part 1)
V.3 Flying the Lear Jet (Part 2), Flight Quiz, Quiet Flight Intercom, Cessna Skylane, NDB Techniques, Tsunami at Reno 1987
V.4 Crossing the Atlantic, Flight Quiz 1, Inside a FSS, Flight Quiz 2, Flashlight Please, Rejected Takeoffs & Landings, Flight Quiz 3, Propeller Handling Tips, F4U Corsair
V.5 Flying the Trinidad and Tobago, Flight Quiz 1, Making Your Home Videos Fly, Instrument Rating in 10 Days, Midair Collision Avoidance, Those Hollywood Helicopters, Flight Quiz 2, Understanding Spins
V.6 Machen Superstar, Flight Quiz 1, Flight Plan Filing by PC, Flight Quiz 2, T-6 Transition, Wheeler Express, NASA Reporting System, Flying a Taildragger
V.7 How to Fly a Seaplane, Ground Ice Precautions, Flight Quiz, Glasair III, Aero Car, Winter Preflight, Moosehead Seaplane Splash-In, Desert Vision
V.8 Slip Tips, Leaning with EGT, Tie Down Tips, The Ultimate EGT, P-51, Destination Hawaii
V.9 Flight Control Failure, Flight Quiz 1, IFR Scan Techniques, Mooney Panel Update, Flight Safety International, Flight Quiz 2, Electrical Failure, Citabria Decathlon
V.10 Beechcraft Bonanza, Glass Cockpit, Bacuum Pump Failure, A-26 Invader, World’s Best Equipped Mooney, Spruce Goose
V.11 Emergency Glide Techniques, Mooney TLS, Bose Noise-Canceling Headset, Single Pilot IFR, P-40 Warhawk
V.12 Beechcraft Staggerwing, AltAlert, Airspace Quiz, Bushmaster, Top Gun for Everyone
V.13 T-28C, Faulty Gas Caps, Measuring Airspeed, Ryan TCAD, Helicopter Transition
V.14 Questair Venture, Atlantic Crossing Part 1, Fuel System Management, Accident Tracking, Bendix/King KLN-88, Behind the Scenes at Geneseo, After-Market Turbochargers
V.15 Pitot Static Pitfalls, Cockpit Organization, Wildcat, Wake Turbulence, TBM-700, Changing Your Oil Filter, Atlantic Crossing Part 2
V.16 Cessna 310, Performing the Loop, You Can Buy a Warbird, Landing Gear Problems, Protection Against Corrosion, Determining Practical Range
V.17 Bellanca Viking 300, Swinging Your Compass, Airplane Painting, Nose Wheel Shimmy, Propeller Failure, Color Sky Map, Airborne Radar, Sun-N-Fun EAA FLy-in
V.18 Cessna 210, Engine Failure, Fire Extinguishers, AOPA Quiz 1, Idaho Airplane Camping, AirSport Pro, Do I Buy a Single or Twin, AOPA Quiz 2
V.19 Lancair, Aircraft Ditching, Propeller Clothing, Bamboo Bomber, Aviation Weather, Garmin GPS 100, Pilot Profile
V.20 The A.G. Tiger, Weight and Balance, NorthStar M2V GPS, Spartan Executive, Maneuvering Speed, Flying to Mexico, Engine Overhauls, Schiff and Son
V.21 Mooney MSE, Approach Lighting Systems, How Things Work, Supplemental Oxygen, Antiques, Fliers’ Fantasy Vacation, Cloud Chasers
V.22 Chipmunk, ASR-9 Radar, Cayman Caravan, Engine Instruments, IFR Departures, Gyroplane, Aerostar Convention
V.23 Commander 114B, Stabilized Approach, SR-71, Nova Scotia, GPS Approaches.

Last Edited by mh at 01 Mar 23:55
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Excellent retro video, just spotted this thread

LGMG Megara, Greece
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message