Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Commander may start production again

This was posted here a few days ago, in the TB20 thread. I asked the poster whether he could post it in a new thread (due to a software issue I cannot currently move individual posts around) but it doesn’t look like he has been back since.

The citation links pointed to a wiki on the Commander 112 but they were dead links.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From Mike Perry’s blog at Commander School Europe (Guernsey)

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

4 years later, we have this.

The newspaper is a subscription only one and I can see just this

Elsewhere in the US (in the US Socata group) it was reported that they are spending $8M on a few factory. The proposition was rubbished; as usual it is supposedly impossible to launch a new aircraft against the Cirrus. That same discussion was done in the TB20 restart threads, of course…

EDIT: I managed to get a screenshot of the article, before it gets greyed-out:

The fleet size of 750 is quite reasonable and is a parts business of a few M USD a year. That business must be currently running… somebody must be producing and selling airframe parts for these. The TB20/TB21 fleet size is probably similar and Socata are still in there.

Administrator

I’ve always really liked the Commander.
I tried to buy one, which fell through and was unable to find another in my time frame so got something else.
In years to come, I will still be interested.
I wish them well, and hope they don’t loose anything great from the original airframe while chasing essential innovation to allow them to compete.

United Kingdom

I nearly bought a 112 when I was looking, in 2001/2002. The aircraft was similar to the TB20 in many ways; it came closest to meeting the requirements.

Administrator

Very high build quality and structural integrity, but needing generous length tarmac runways.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Just like Mooney, a dead end eventually. I hope I’m wrong tho, about Mooney and the Commander. Who buys a new SEP?

EHTE, Netherlands

Who buys a new SEP?

Cirrus, Cessna, Piper, Aviat Husky, Cubcrafters, Extra, Diamond, Vans (and other owner quick build outfits)and the odd Beech G36 still being produced in presumably operating profit contribution numbers.

Integrated schools and recreational pilots (Cub clones and Vans mainly) are the main markets. SEP retractables try and break into the Cirrus touring market but struggle.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Lots of people buy new SEPs.

Not so many in Europe though, apart from Diamond and Cirrus, among the certified types.

When was the Commander last in production and how much was it?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Lots of people buy new SEPs.

The financial crisis drop in 2008 is quite impressive. Does anyone know why it stayed so flat?

Bobo wrote:

Just like Mooney, a dead end eventually. I hope I’m wrong tho, about Mooney and the Commander. Who buys a new SEP?

I agree. It always seemed crazy to me. Why would you spend ridiculous amounts of money on planes that were developed long before I was born (if not the airplane than at least the engine) with a few exceptions like Diamond and Cirrus.

I just leave this here=

Switzerland
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message