Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper launches new M600 and M350.

10 Posts

This is a Meridian with 600hp, has a new wing, more fuel capacity, carries more, and the new Garmin G3000 suite that the HondaJet also has. Looks like a sweet machine, but at $2.8mill, is it a little too close to the TBM900 (that has much more capability) for comfort?

It’s got some nice new capacities – an auto level button that passengers can use if the pilot gets incapacitated. It’s also got a prompting system above FL150 that will descend the plane if the pilot doesn’t interact with avionics at all in a certain amount of time, to prevent from hypoxia induced accidents.

I wish them the best of luck with it. That interior looks great!

Link

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 Apr 00:02

I am in two minds about it. It is a nice set of upgrades. No faster but better range and loading. Much higher Vmo. Same cabin with better finishing.

EGTK Oxford

http://www.piper.com/piper-aircraft-launches-three-new-m-class-products-the-m600-the-m350-and-the-m500/

What I don’t understand is why the Lycoming Malibu costs $1.15m and the 500hp Meridian $2.26m. That seems to be an excessive premium for a turbine engine. $2.82m is a lot for such a small aircraft…

Achimha,
What’s great with the PA46 airframe is that we know exactly how much it costs to put a turbine in front: ~700k to convert a Mirage to a Jetprop. Sure there’s a bit of waste in that number because it should cost less to build it as a turbine from scratch – but the Jetprop guys are very efficient in reusing the piston engines and all the stuff that goes with it.
The M500 has some additional features that clearly add to the cost. Jason will have the full list, but a stronger wing, gear, rudder are significant; there’s also double glazing, and very neat and expensive switches :-)
Does this justify the price difference? For some. I guess there’s a reason the Jetprop is so popular.

EGTF, LFTF

It does seem a little expensive considering the Eclipse 550 comes in at the same price but they probably think if Socata can do it, they can too.

EGBB

The previous Meridian version has a range of 0 with six people on board. I’m sure they do better with the new M600.
But the press release is not clear as to the range vs loading. What range with 3 people on board and some luggage?

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 19 Apr 11:51

The TBM has an optional pilot door, useful investment. I wouldn’t want to crawl to the seat.

United Kingdom

It’s not that bad to go through the cabin but I agree that the pilot door is a good option. The pilot door is standard now on the TBM900 but it was a very expensive option previously.

Last Edited by JasonC at 20 Apr 02:11
EGTK Oxford

The “Schettino” door, allowing you to jump ship before anybody else!

M600 now certified with even greater specs than first offered. 1400nm+ range, FL300 and almost $2 million cheaper than any of the competition in that class. Gonna sell a lot of these and especially steal quite a few sales away from the TBM market, is my guess.

M600 certified

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 17 Jun 23:55
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message