Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some info on the DA42

a load of banks will end up nationalised

All our banks have already been sold to big international banks (except one relatively small which will be sold by the end of this year) so we're ready to nationalise them

Sory for OT but I couldn't resist

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I bet that a DA42 with Centurion 2.0s engines would outperform the NG with AE engines by a significant margin.

Maybe at lower altitudes, since Centurion (because its small turbo) is able to deliver full power up to 6000', after that it drops significantly - same applies for 2.0 and 2.0s engines.

Depends a bit what you mean by 'significantly'. At 10.000 ft max power still 90%, 14.000 ft still 80%. I think the 2.0s Thielert is indeed going to be an interesting proposition owing to its lower mass than the Austro and resulting more aft CoG.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I don't know if this has previously been posted but I've just come across this

It states

Engine warranties are always handled by the engine maker not the airframe maker, and when customers bought their TwinStars, they knew it was Thielert and not Diamond vouching for the engines.

Is that really true in the EU, for a private buyer?

I can imagine it can be upheld for a business buyer, even where the "business" is an empty one i.e. a company set up just to own the plane.

But for Joe Bloggs buying in his own name - surely not?

It's like VW not being liable for the engine in my VW car.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you have a separate purchase agreement for the engines, it is possible. Otherwise, it is impossible.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm very familiar with warranties in the automotive industry. It's always the dealer who has to fulfill a warranty towards the final customer. There's no legal way to exclude that.

How things are handled further up the supply chain, eg between dealer and manufacturer or manufacturer and suppliers, is up to inter-company agreements with few legal guidelines.

Car dealers regularly moan that they get insufficient warranty reimbursements from their manufacturers ...

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Don't you have an Unfair Contract Terms Act (or similar) in Germany, Achim?

(I am being specific on the private buyer point here - I do realise that most DA42s were bought by FTOs i.e. businesses)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, of course there are limits to what a merchant can impose on customers. Separating the aircraft from the engine doesn't sound too wrong to me. It is standard for transport aircraft.

However, I have never heard that Diamond actually did that and I would be surprised.

There are some interesting things brewing in the diesel world. Continental jumping feet in by buying and certifying the SMA. Now, they've hinted they're developing a 6-cylinder version of it capable of around 300hp. That should prove interesting as it puts them square in old legacy twin world or HP singles.

On the Aerostar forum there's a lot of excitement about another company called EPS Inc (www.eps.aero). They've successfully run their direct drive 350hp diesel for over a year now, and is advancing towards certification. They would be a perfect fit for the Aerostars/Superstars. In my case, it would mean I could drop my consumption by about 30%, from 25gal/hr to 17,5gal/hr. With the added STC'd aux fuel tank in the baggage compartment (227gals total), it would be possible to fly a bladder-busting 2500nm non stop! However, I'm also a cynic pessimist, so I know this won't be available for at least another 10 years. It's not just certifying it - then someone is going to have to develop a lot of STC's for various airframes etc. Takes forever.

But at least things are happening finally.

The very interesting bit about Continental is that they went out and bought Centurion Engines altogether. That begs the question what they are planning to do with the TD300 which is a licensed version of an older SMA SR305.

Thielert already have the V8 developed and ready, more or less. Will Continental pursue both diesel engine designs?

And, how do DA40/42 owners feel about going back to flying behind Continentals yet again? :)

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

And, how do DA40/42 owners feel about going back to flying behind Continentals yet again? :)

Well Krister, there is not a shadow of a doubt. Just after the press release I took a dB meter on board and they suddenly are even quieter..

I have a little issue pending with Thielert on an ECU in one of my engines. Let's see whether US ownership makes them run a little harder. If not, now I have some other people to call..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message