Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some info on the DA42

I see from that PDF that this is not from Diamond, it is from Austro Engine GmbH.

Who precisely is the warranty with if you buy a DA42, new or used, with these engines?

I think that if you buy it as a private individual, the warranty has to be with Diamond, but maybe it isn't...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BTW Is Thielert 2.0 in DA42 135 or 155 HP rated?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I am pretty sure that warranty would be from Austro, but that should not be a worry knowing that Austro and Diamond are both owned by the Dries family.

2.0 Thielerts are 135 HP rated, so no change from the 1.7. There is a private individual working on a 155 HP STC in Europe but it has turned a little quiet lately. FMI check the DAN (Diamond Aviators Network) forum, an excellent site for all things Diamond.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

that should not be a worry knowing that Austro and Diamond are both owned by the Dries family.

The main point of having two separate companies is that if there is trouble, you can sink one while the other one is protected.

The absolutely key thing is that the buyer gets a warranty from Diamond.

Administrator

Peter,

Yes, I agree in general that creating separate companies would create protection for the owners but in this particular case I firmly believe that if Austro defaults on its customers it would drag down Diamond with it. The reputation of Diamond and its owner would be shattered and lawsuits would spring up against the Dries family. I think they perfectly realize that, so there are probably other reasons behind the separation. Fiscal maybe?

Having said that, it is the situation of today. What happens if either, or both, companies change ownership? Unlikely that this would happen within two years (the warranty period) from now, but beyond, nobody knows.

Aart - why do you think the situation would be any different from the Thielert+Diamond scenario, where engine warranties were lost?

A Limited Company offers you precisely that option i.e. major issues with the engine would not drag down Diamond the airframe manufacturer.

Ford, Toyota, etc, do not have a separate limited liability company making their engines.

Administrator

Fly-By-Wire DA42...

Does anyone have any more details....?!

YSCB

Aart - why do you think the situation would be any different from the Thielert+Diamond scenario, where engine warranties were lost?

There was a lot of criticism against Diamond, alleging that they left customers in the cold after Thielert went into receivership. Diamond argued that in the end they did take responsibility, by developing the Austro engine and offering a solution. But let's not get into who's right on that issue. My point is that if Austro fails or leaves customers in the cold in whatever way it would probably kill the DA42 program. And likely the DA52, and the DA40 Diesel. Plus, the Diamond company and its owner would lose all credibility. Many existing customers will take their loss and walk away, others will fight the Dries family, and potential customers will simply not buy any products from a company in such turmoil. Dries is perfectly aware of this.

When Dries founded Austro he knew that it would have to become a success. He is very determined to make that happen, and there are some deep pockets involved. They have been able to gain a lot of experience from the Thielert program, have made some significant design changes, and it looks as if they are on the right track, another reason why one should not worry too much I think.

Christian Dries is committed to aviation and determined to make Diamond a success, and has the (financial) stamina to do so.

I did some reading on DAN forum but I didn't find clear answers to some questions:

1. Is there possibility to install 2.0s (155 HP rated) instead of 2.0 (135 HP rated) engine?

2. What's better option at the moment if you're replacing the engines (taking into account all pros and cons): Centurion or Austro?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
  1. No, there is no option to install 155 HP 2.0 Thielerts. I doubt it will happen. Not anytime soon anyway.

2. you will have to make your own choice based on a number of objective and subjective arguments and some unknowns:

a. Austro equipped DA42 is around 10 knots faster. Download the POH of both aircraft from Diamond's Austrian site

b. Specific fuel consumption about the same.

c. Flying: Austro feels heavier, V-speeds are higher (longer take off and landing run), fuel pumps to mess with. Noise levels: very similar, maybe Austro's are even a little noisier. Noise is subjective though..

d. Payload capability similar, but Austro's require some compensation weights in the back if you travel 2 up front.

e. Initial investment. Don't know the latest, but count on around 80 keuro for Centurion and around twice that for Austro.

f. Life cycle cost: Austro probably lower. By how much can't tell you right now.

g. Risk of Thielert ceasing to exist is greater than Austro. However, I have been told that under German law Thielert can continue under receivership until they have found a Buyer for the company. They seem to make a profit, given luctrative US Military UAV business.

h. Looks. I don't particularly like the looks of the bulky Austro nacelles. Subjective of course. I believe Diamond does not offer the new DA42 VI nacelles for the retrofit. Nor the new props. Worth asking though! Not only relevant for looks but also for performance no doubt.

i. Checking Austro oil level and gearbox oil level is a bit of a pain for my tall body, at the side of the engine.

I still have time to go on my 2.0 engines, but if I had to make the choice today, I'd probably renew the Centurion. I do a lot of sightseeing and fly slow. And for the traveling I do this additional 10 knots is not worth 80 keuro.

Sign in to add your message