Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some info on the DA42

1.Is there possibility to install 2.0s (155 HP rated) instead of 2.0 (135 HP rated) engine?

Nope.

Going forward, Diamond's primary focus is (obviously) on the Austro, so this one will only come from a 3rd party STC. I doubt it'll ever happen.

(I see Aart beat me to it )

2.What's better option at the moment if you're replacing the engines (taking into account all pros and cons): Centurion or Austro?

I think the answer is: Whatever you're most comfortable with. Given the facts, there's no right or wrong. Note, replacing a Centurion with another Centurion is a less costly undertaking than upgrading to an Austro, which requires a more complex set of changes to the cowling, avionics, gear & airframe.

If you're buying new, though, I'd definitely pick the Austro DA42-VI. (primarily for the nacelles - they look way cool! )

This is my cost calculation for ONE Centurion 2.0 engine per actual flight hour:

Maintenance hours and parts: 30 euro.

Swap-out fund: 25 euro

Fuel: 27 euro (75% power, 1.3 euro per litre)

Note: Excludes VAT. labour rate: 50 euro. Includes 3 euro for unscheduled maintenance (experience sofar 1.5 euro after 500 hrs)

So total costs 82 euro. Just an (academical) comparison with a 135 HP gas engine: only fuel say 7 USG at 2.5 euro (Spain) is 67 euro. Don't know about maintenance and swap, anyone?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

So you are looking at ~ €160/hr.

Based on a $35k 2000hr overhaul and 11.5USG/hr (140kt) my hourly cost comes to ~ €110 (TB20).

Academic but sort-of interesting. The DA42 is a lot cheaper per-hour than an avgas twin, for sure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I'm considering buying an old one and replacing the engines - it's estimated approx 80k€ for Centurions and 165k€ for Austros. That's more-less what has been already stated in this thread. Option with Centurions will probably require some additional 20k€ for other airframe parts/job due to reaching limits while I guess that option with Austros includes everything. And all these prices are without VAT.

At the end 40k€ seems little too much for 135 HP engine - comparing to 250 HP Lyco which costed me 32k€ a year ago.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir, What are these airframe parts/job related to the Centurion upgrade and why do you think they would be included in the Austro upgrade? AFAIK, what comes with the standard Austro is a specific package of airframe mods, in particular a landing gear beef-up, only needed because of the increased engine weight/increase in MTOW.

What are these airframe parts/job related to the Centurion upgrade

It's probably unrelated to the Centurion upgrade per se; however, if your end-of-life engine is reaching 1000 hrs, the rest of the aircraft would likely be due for the general airframe 1000 hr inspection as well.

and why do you think they would be included in the Austro upgrade?

The Austro upgrade does specifically include the 1000 hr inspection + fresh annual:

@Aart: Hodja gave the same explanation I got.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

interesting reading... It it possible to lease a DA42 directly from Diamond?

interesting reading... It it possible to lease a DA42 directly from Diamond?

I don't think Diamond is into that. Maybe a seller of one would consider leasing out instead. Various for sale, mainly in Europe and North America.

The Austro upgrade does specifically include the 1000 hr inspection + fresh annual:

http://www.diamondaircraft.com/media/uploads/files/DA42NGconversion.pdf

I agree that this is an interesting reading and I understand that this is info released in 2010 but the prices specified in this document are much lower than today's prices quoted by Diamond. I'm still not sure what to do and which route to choose if any.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message