Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icon A5

Compare and contrast the cockpit set-up and design philosophy vs vintage, and reflect on which is more likely to attract new customers with money to spend.

Added bonus – you don’t have to spend 15 years to build it in a shed.

Article here: http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/lsasport/we-fly-icon-a5

The cockpit looks like my friend’s 250hp jetski — the deadliest weapon I’ve ever held in my hands

A very slick, modern and innovative airplane. I think it might be a success — in places where you are allowed to use it. A pure pleasure craft though, no utility value.

The same could be said about many of our rides though – very little utility value :-)

Imagine riding this in Scandinavia or Canada? Or around the Greek or Croatian islands? Or the Bahamas, where you can land and beach anywhere you please once you have cleared immigration?

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Imagine riding this in Scandinavia or Canada? Or around the Greek or Croatian islands? Or the Bahamas, where you can land and beach anywhere you please once you have cleared immigration?

Let me know once you’ve figured out how to freely roam in Switzerland and land anywhere you like. I will then apply the same in Germany

Scandinavia is probably the closest place this craft would have any value.

Switzerland anything fun is verboten – for the moment (that’s the influence of the German speaking neighbor :) ). The skies have just opened for LSA and microlights though, so there is hope.

Edited to say random fun things like temporary frozen lake runways happen here every now and then:

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 20 Aug 09:12

achimha wrote:

Scandinavia is probably the closest place this craft would have any value.

Make that Sweden.

In Norway EVERYTHING fun IST VERBOTEN. Its hysterical.

spirit49
LOIH

In Norway EVERYTHING fun IST VERBOTEN. Its hysterical.

Such as?

We have something we call the knickers mafia in Norway. A lobby organisation from the richest parts of west side Oslo that preaches to everyone the “correct” way of enjoying our mountains. They are bad and powerful, but is getting more and more deluted in later years.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What’s innovative about the A5?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 20 Aug 11:41

The A5 costs US$ 250k and is an LSA (a microlight essentially with slightly larger MTOW). A flying RV-7 costs US$ 70-80k (pre-built). The specs are not even remotely comparable.

What the A5 is competing with is a design from the 1930s : The Legend Cub:

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
124 Posts
Sign in to add your message