Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N200SR – the first Cirrus SR20

Aviathor wrote:

It is sure fun to see a Cirrus with round gauges though.

There are still quite a few of them available on the used market even though from what I see on planecheck they are not really that much less expensive than the ones with the full Avidyne set. And in which case the choice would be pretty obvious.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

What I liked the most about your picture, Aart, are the LightSpeed headsets. Not sure whether it is the XL or the 3G… I still have a 3G and used is regularly until I got 2 Bose.

It is sure fun to see a Cirrus with round gauges though.

LFPT, LFPN

We were a group of five, buying two ‘20s back in 2002. I don’t recall the serial numbers.
I sold my share in 2006 when I emigrated and bought a DA42. Both aircraft live in Lelystad (EHLE) and are still going strong.
We all know they are not exactly overpowered, but still I have very fond memories of them.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

My flight was BEFORE the accident (where one aileron was loose..). At the time of my visit/flight N200SR was the only flying prototype. The accident happened with one of the next, I think it was even the second prototype.

Very cool photos from both of you!

@Flyer59 Was your flight before or after the fatal accident with the Cirrus test pilot?

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Very cool, thank you!
Does N263CD mean that it was serial number 63?

Do you still have it?

So here’s one of the first iterations after that prototype. I went all the way with a Sandel EHSI. That plane must be worth millions now as a collectors item.

Indeed darned cold up there when we took delivery. Almost froze ’m off..

In a tribute to America we decided to stick a flag up the fuselage. Come on, don’t tell me these things about GoPros disturbing the aerodynamics.

I salute Cirrus for having continuously keep on developing their aircraft.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Price of the 3-blade Hartzell composite prop for the SR22: + 30 K $

Price of the 4-blade MT wood/composite prop for the SR22: around $ 18 K

Both with TKS prop deice, spinner

With the TBM the story was that both the engineers and customers considered the MT 5 blade to be the better choice but then Mr Hartzell bought 3 TBMs… It’s possible to get an MT prop on the TBM but it involves getting a Hartzell first, applying an MT STC and selling the Hartzell back to Socata.

So it seems there are politics involved in decisions like that.

Alan Klapmeier was a big fan of the MT props and he really wanted the SR20 to have the MT 3-blade prop. Obviously during the certification of the plane the pressure from the US prop manufacturers become stronger (i remember vaguely that he said s.th. like that) … so the Hartzell and McCauley props became standard.

But I have long forgotten the details, … (i should have many tapes with all those interviews somewhere in the basement, but who has time to look for them ….)

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message