Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sales efforts started for Cobalt Co50 Valkyrie

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/cobalt-aviation-valkyrie-canard
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/November/12/Cobalt-Aircraft-restarts-sales-efforts

They have added a canard and are selling it as a safety feature that would prevent stalling the aircraft. With a 350hp engine, it is supposed to reach 260 kt. And it comes with an “onboard parachute”. It is currently in the experimental category, but FAR 23 certification is sought, if financing is secured. The price: 700’000 $.

Nice. Without the canard, it would be quite good looking.

Still, experience tells that an aircraft which – at this stage of development – is being “advertised” at 700k, will probably cost about 1.2 million once it’s certified, equipped and delivered…

Oh, and it will also be slower and heavier than advertised now…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Isn’t that a very smallish propeller for transmitting 350 HP to the air? Must run a very high RPM ==> lots of noise? which is already inherently bad on a pusher ?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

When I was working in aerospace engineering (some time ago), there was an adage:

“It’ll cost more, weigh more and take longer; even taking this rule into account!”

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

According to this they want $30M to get it certified.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

- 30m to get it certified is very optimistic – especially for unconventional design like this. But certification is a peanut compared to the amount of money you need to have to start the serial production.
- I don´t believe such configuration with this engine and prop will be that fast.
- there is a huge (50kts) level speed difference between single 77kg pilot on board only and full weight. This is strange. The same for take-off. Only 100 ft difference? no way, forget about it.

LKKU, LKTB
The price: 700’000 $.

I one really wanted to fly a canard, that kind of money is probably sufficient to buy one of the remaining Beechcraft Starhips

But who knows, maybe it is this company which successfully re-invents one of those wheels that left everybody else with flat tires after a short while… (i.e. the series produced GA aircraft with canard configuration).

EDDS - Stuttgart

My canard did not cost anything like that……..

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

They have moved on from CGI to a mockup (no propeller visible, it seems)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would be very cautious with a pusher configuration due to noise.

We do get one or two Avantis from time to time and I can hear them from miles out. Some folks have already protested massively against them, also elsewhere.

If it is anything like that, it will be a non-starter in large parts of Europe.

Otherwise another interesting design, the viability of which I will believe once it is done. The canard looks awful, like it was an afterthought and not well thought through.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message