Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA 40 purchase

A friend of mine is looking to buy a DA 40 in the US and has asked for some advice. He will use if to fly vfr initially and when he gets his IR for IFR as well. He is based in the uk but intends to rent out the plane while he is not in the US. He has identified a number of options some with autopilot KAP 140 and synthetic vision. Most have engine hours in the range 1200 to 1600. What should he be looking for specifically on this model? How often do they run to TBO on the engine assuming that it has been looked after? Thanks for any advice from those who operate this model.

EGBW, United Kingdom

I have flown a DA40-180 extensively for the last few years, but I know next to nothing about what you should look out for in terms of maintenance items.

The only items I am aware of are

• There is a weakness in a part of the nose landing gear which develops cracks and occasionally requires replacement.
  • There is a SB for reinforcing a part of the structure at least on some models. It is relatively easy to do.

He needs to decide what powerplant he wants; Lyco IO360 (180 HP), CD135 (Centurion 2.0) or CD155 (Centurion 2.0s). One option is to buy an airplance with a CD135 or the old 1,7 l Thielert nearing TBR and replace it with a CD155.

The GFC700 autopilot is really much nicer than the KAP140

You should post your question to the Diamond Aviator Network.

LFPT, LFPN
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message