Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 slow flight handling

Posts moved from here

Where did you read about the “ineffectice control surfaces”?

The opposite is true: The Cirrus delivers a nice roll rate and has very effective controls, that’s my experience. The one thing that’s not perfect is the control FEEL, due to the springs in the controls, but after i got used to it, it’s ok now.

Flyer59 – relatively speaking only! I like the Cirrus very much and especially hand flying and have never given any credit to it being an autopilot machine. I have many hundreds of hours on a 22 so a little experience. My comment was based only that by comparison with some types with large rudder surfaces and powerful ailerons in can run out of authority especially at very low speeds. I have landed just once with over 25 knots of cross wind in gusty conditions and feel sure I ran out of rudder authority and had an interesting experience landing once while unbeknown to me a Hercules was doing full power run ups with its slipstream running straight across the threshold as I was landing. I also agree on feel to the extent that at very slow approach speeds – perhaps going into an especially short field the controls can feel “mushy” – do you feel my anaylsis with the qualifications now made is fair?

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 18 Aug 21:42

Interesting, my experience is a bit different though. I think the SR22 handles xwinds exceptionally well, but that the nose heavy T models could need a little more elevator authority at very low speeds.

Well, any aircraft will feel mushy if you just fly them slow enough. The first time I flew an airplane (C172) with an ASI in mph instead of kts, it got very mushy on final. And every airplane will sooner or later run out of sideslip in a crosswind landing. 25 kts crosswind is quite a bit.

The SR22 has a surprisingly good roll rate. Even a little too good Need to be careful on that side stick.

LFPT, LFPN

My experience with the SR22T is that it can handle crosswinds very well. I have never had the slightest idea of running out of rudder authority with heavy crosswinds.

EDLE, Netherlands

@AeroPlus
That’s the experience of all SR22 pilots – xwind landings are non-events. And turbulence is handled well too – although sometimes when a powerful vertical gust hits the plane i have the feeling that the very stiff structure makes for harder strokes (than let’s say in a more “flexible” PA-28.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 19 Aug 10:12

Flyer59 wrote:

And turbulence is handled well too

M20 is handling turbulence even nicer IMHO

LKKU, LKTB

6 months ago I had the chance to fly a Cirrus aircraft for the first time, and it was an incredible experience… I never flown one before, but It almost felt like I was flying it for a while.
I didn’t have the chance to experience with X-winds or severe turbulence, but we made some maneuvers testing the neutral stability of this aircraft, slow flight, and then we induced a stall. The maneuverability of this plane was amazing. I have the video I made that day, in case you’re interested in seeing this aircraft stalling, falling 800fpm and still being able to control the aircraft with the ailerons.

Private Pilot
LELL, LEMG,

Maybe I just had chicken instructors, but they told me to still use the rudder to pick up a wing during a stall in a Cirrus. Even though the tapered wing should give you aileron control even in a stall, it’s probably not the right reflex to learn. Or am I too cautious?

Rwy20 wrote:

still use the rudder to pick up a wing during a stall

Same. In a self induced stall (I never had an unexpected one, and can’t guarantee would do the right thing) I always have Ailerons neutral and use the rudder to keep bank neutral.
I have the impression that physics would dictate that with a certain rate (or high angle) of bank, if the root of the wing is already stalled, the upwards (especially if moving) aileron will stall at some point, possibly entering a spin.

… but I guess the cirrus has the chute in case that happens

37 Posts
Sign in to add your message