Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Morane-Saulnier Rallye Series (Morane-Pilot Thread)

That tail wheel version(s) looked nice. Those Ralleys were never very popular in Norway, but there are some around. Just recently a guy at the club purchased one for NOK 1.00 (which is about 10 cents €) It was said to be in flyable condition (somewhat)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have owned two Moranes (AKA Socata Rallye), both 180HP, the first bought from WilliamF (whom I can recommend) and then sold on to a glider club in Sweden so I could upgrade to the current plane which is better equipped.

Some added comments regarding 180HP version:
1) current plane indicates 115 knots at 40L/hour
2) standard tanks 170 (LR which I have now 220 liters)
3) 870 lbs UL (BTW plane fly quite well at full gross—the effect of weight on a 172 is more noticeable)
4) much sportier feel than 172 or 182—downside is that it always has to be flown—both my planes tended to roll away when i let go of the yoke
5) highly sensitive trim—nothing like Cessna
6) massive rudder and low wing configuration gives you real crosswind capability
7) forgiving, easy to fly plane, even easier than a 172, if that’s possible
8) STOL capabilities already mentioned, but I’ll admit a 172 is no slouch in this area either
9) often equipped with tow hook (both of my planes had one, but neither to my knowledge had been used recently to tow gliders)
10) nothing weird or complex about maintenance

If you can find a Rallye (Morane) in good condition (a big IF), they can be tremendous value for money (roughly 60% of a comparably equipped 172). As one salvage yard owner said to me: “there are more dead Rallyes than live Rallyes.” Many have done services as tows, or live outside. They are famous for corrosion. The problem with inexpensive planes is that often the owners don’t have the money to maintain the properly.

A Rallye in good condition is outstanding value; the problem is finding a good one. But that can probably be said of all used planes!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 23 Dec 05:46
Tököl LHTL

In 1972, a French test pilot landed and took off a Rallye from a cave in the Pyrénées.

Simon

Hi everybody, I would you to ask: has anybody information about Morane MS 893 MOGAS conversion? I would like to fly with MOGAS, but the Petersen Company don’t have STC kit for this airplane.
Thank you, TCASSS

Assuming you have the Lycoming version, SI 1070 from Lyco lists the O-360-A as compatible with “automotive fuel”; the SI also contains a description of the fuel parameters, of which the alcohol content limit is probably the one you need to look at. Unfortunately, you will also need a STC for the airframe, and this I have no idea about. Does the POH limit the fuel to avgas?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

The POH don’t offer AVGAS. I really don’t understand: what is the link between airframe and engine the aspects of fuel?????

Sorry, don’t AVGAS, The POH don’t offer MOGAS.

Whatever happened to that Rallye Minerva that was constantly advertised at the back of Flyer magazine for years and years with a Franklin engine? Bullheaded guy wanted some completely unrealistic sum for it but just wouldn’t get the hint. He must have spent thousands and thousands on it in advertising and probably never sold. Anyone know its fate?

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 10 Feb 18:53

@Tcasss
The Lyc O-360 engines are fine on mogas when used in high wing configuration. But problems can arise with vapor lock with low wing configuration at altitude or in high temperatures. So the barrier to mogas use is a function of the airframe/engine combination.

Tököl LHTL

The reasons for needing two STCs, or equivalents, one for engine, one for airframe, is explained somewhere on the Petersen site. IIRC it has to do with guaranteeing sufficient fuel flow and possible blockage issues (some low wing Pipers need the plumbing rerouted and / or additional pumps).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message