Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Morane-Saulnier Rallye Series (Morane-Pilot Thread)

Basicly, we can say: MOGAS is not offered for low wing airframe! I’m sad…

That is not true, there are plenty of PA28’s, a couple of the AA5’s, and probably many others that can get the Petersen STC. There are also European planes, such as some Robins, that are MOGAS-legal. There also are numerous high-wing planes without a STC. Just that not every airframe / engine combination is legal for MOGAS, and both need to.

FWIW, I seem to recall someone writing that EASA blanket-allowed MOGAS in a large number of airframes, but I can’t seem to find a reference. So, keep looking.

Last Edited by tmo at 10 Feb 19:39
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

During a period of a few years sometime around 1990, a lot of Swedish GA aircraft used MOGAS for tax reasons. The Swedish CAA issued a blanket approval up to 6000 ft. To go above that a few flight tests were all that was needed. My club had two PA28s running on MOGAS and no problem with vapour lock.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

During a period of a few years sometime around 1990, a lot of Swedish GA aircraft used MOGAS for tax reasons

We still do in Norway. I have never flown the AA5 or the Pawnee on anything but Mogas (both low wing). Let’s say Mogas is €1.5 per liter, then tax free mogas will be about €1. This is what all the microlighter’s do also. But tax free is a bit of a misnomer. We still pay tax (VAT and CO2 tax), it’s a special road tax of approximately NOK 5 (€0.5) we don’t have to pay. It means the price of mogas (on an airplane) will be about the same a Jet A1.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Is the Petersen company the unique who can make approwed STC for MOGAS?

No, but nost of them have been engineered by Petersen. But there are exceptions. Gomolzig in Germany received an approval for certain Robin, which – probably just like the Morane – nobody ever heard of at Petersen.

These are the people to contact in Europ for an STC offer (Jesse’s companion).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you boscomantico. The homepage of Gomolzig, unfortunaley, out of order.

I know some Rallye owners put mogas in one wing and Avgas in the other. I don’t know whether switching would help in case of vapor lock. I don’t because I’m so often over water/rough terrain and simply don’t want to take the risk.

Tököl LHTL

That is a common tactic in all sorts of situations where you can only get “car petrol” but you have to get home somehow, from some 3rd World dump. You climb up on avgas and then switch tanks. Usually it works OK, on Cessnas anyway, with maybe a rise in CHTs of some 20-30F.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As the small child of an ex-RNZAF CPL father I have good memories of the young NZ local agent here so committedly promoting the STOL capabilities of the early Rallye out at Ardmore Airfield (South Auckland) in the very early sixties.. his name was Lloyd Seabrooke and his family were the Auckland importing and servicing agents for Austin and BMC cars since the 1920’s. The venue was the parking apron of the Akld Aero Club and Lloyd was so enthusiastically extolling the ‘virtually unstallable’ values of the Rallye’s leading edge wing slats.. sadly for his life this proved untrue a short time later when his demonstration aircraft was lost during a low-level demonstration flight with prospective customers on board at the time. As a young child I really liked Lloyd who was a kindly enthusiastic young guy with bright shining eyes and thick curly black hair and he absolutely loved and extolled the new Rallye as being so far superior to the bread and butter Cub 90 that was widely used as the everymans’ training aircraft at that time.. his memory lives on in my mind and seeing these photos again reminds me of what an impression that attractive aircraft made for me all these years later .. :)

Sign in to add your message