Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Morane-Saulnier Rallye Series (Morane-Pilot Thread)

Very nice article about Morane aircraft including a lot of good Information.

Would be great to get include some more details about Rallye aircraft as well as they are partly different from the older Morane variants.

I did nearly a thousand landings on a Rallye 180, most of them for glider towing or banner pick-ups. Compared to several other types I very much like the Rallye in terms of their direct flight controlls and excellent STOL performance!
It is a great pitty to see less and less aircraft of this type still in operation.

The one on floats from Finnland thrills me!
Does anyone has more information or contacts to Moranes and/or Rallyes on floats?

Germany

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

1) current plane indicates 115 knots at 40L/hour

Holy smokes, thats fast. We are talking about horizontal flight? @WhiskeyPapa

Do you know which prop is installed?

My Dads MS893A used to indicate around 85 knots for some time, until we discovered that the RPM gauge was off by a few hundred. After it was fixed indicated speed was back to 90-95 again. 95 is optimistic however. It was previously used to tow gliders, so the prop definitely has a climb pitch.

Myself I’m not such a big fan of the Morane for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, but as I was basically born in a Morane I will always have a soft spot for it :)

Last Edited by Andi at 24 Aug 07:13
EDAV, Germany

That is horizontal flight with a cruise prop. I am having a new tachometer installed. It’s possible that at that speed I’ve been running at a higher power setting than I thought, but I should know better in the next couple weeks. On a cool or winter day, I have gotten it to 118 NM indicated at 2500 RPM 40 liters an hour at 4500-5500 MSL.

I think of it as a gas guzzler.

The speeds you mention seem too slow, even with a climb prop. Something is off, either with the engine or rigging.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 10 Mar 20:45
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

The speeds you mention seem too slow, even with a climb prop. Something is off, either with the engine or rigging.

I’ll start flying the Morane more often again this I year I decided, so I’ll also keep an eye on the performance. Are your consumption figures from the book, or how do you measure it?

@mh Is there a way to contact you? Tried it via private message through the forum and on instagram, no luck so far. Let me know in case I’m bothering you, then I won’t try it again

EDAV, Germany

@mh and others. Do you know where to find an STC for the disc brakes(or more information on what type of disc brakes that are used)?
I checked the FAA database but did not find it. Is there a way to see french STC online?

ESSZ, Sweden

BTW with a new tach, my speeds came way down. 103-105 knots indicated at 5000 2550 RPM feet, 35 l/hr is what it shows now. It’s clear that I was flying past redline before, but my engineer tells me there seems to have been no harm to the engine.

It was quite shocking to me to see the difference in RPMs (checked against a portable measurement box)!

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

It’s clear that I was flying past redline before, but my engineer tells me there seems to have been no harm to the engine.

I read up on the Lycoming instructions after an accidental overspeed. With most engines, if the overspeed is at most 5% (typically 120-135 rpm) you don’t have to do anything about it except address the reason for the overspeed.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve recently purchased a Morane Saulnier MS894A and have found this article really informative.
The aircraft has been standing for 12+ years and I fancied a challenge 😏
I’m having difficulty locating the manual for this aircraft. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to download/purchase one?
Many thanks Rich

United Kingdom

And we dare to say regulation hinders innovation in Europe

LFOU, France

Tailwheel Rallyes were produced in the late 1970s I believe, as per my post #3 and they apparently also built a few (9) agricultural versions… which I now notice were discussed in post #4! Here’s a nice photo regardless.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Apr 17:42
Sign in to add your message