Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

To invest in property, or aircraft? TB21 for 240k euros, and other overpriced aircraft.

Here – D-EJIS is another TB20GT at what looks like way too high a price – €160k+VAT. It is in Germany.

I wonder what the mysterious “engine needs a repair” means?

It is basically identical to what mine was in 2002, except the Garmin 430+530 option, but not changed since.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, it has also been ruined with a disgusting paintjob, which will make it harder to sell.

Other than that (and rhe dodgy engine) though, I don’t think most of these TB20/21GTs are substantially overpriced, because

• you can’t buy these new
  • they are rare birds
  • the are still moderately “modern”

A 1997 F33A Bonanza will cost as much. A 2001 SR22 might cost a tad less, but is a fair bit more expensive to operate. A 2001 Mooney Ovation will also be similar.

Prices for good used aircraft generally are sky-high at the moment.

So, if they do sell, then these prices aren"t too high. Gta ted, it does seem to take long to sell these aircraft, but I think that is more because it is such a small, particular market.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Jan 10:36
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t think they sell anywhere near the advertised prices. If this one had a “normal” paint job and say 1000hrs on the engine, it might sell for about €140k. But on this one the engine issue, whatever it is, is worth about 30k.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

A 1997 F33A Bonanza will cost as much

i would love to find one at that price in europe with low hrs!!!! and decent avionics!!

fly2000

Sorry, I have to correct myself. The last ones were in fact built in 1994. Those are 24 years old now…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter,

as far as I am concerned the “engine needs repair” is a non-starter. Most people will read to there and then run fast and far. Even though even a full overhaul would be comparatively benign compared to a major avionic upgrade, which this one has not much need of other than possibly a WAAS upgrade of both GNS boxes.

On the other hand, Klaus Kühl is a very reasonable guy who has a very good reputation. He would not take on a “dog” to sell usually. Even the more I am wondering what is wrong with that engine and why they don’t fix it and announce it then.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

190k€ plus 20k€ for new paintjob plus at least 10k€ for the engine? As a broker, I would say " Dreamer, leave my office"

EDWF, Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

as far as I am concerned the “engine needs repair” is a non-starter.

Agreed. It make a very bad impression to not even hint at the problem.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It could be that they discovered that they need a new crankshaft. That’s happened to a good number of people whose maintenance facility was basically clueless regarding AD checks. The least expensive way is a remanufactured Lyco engine – of the order of €40k.

A really weird advert indeed, because anybody with a brain will know that any potential buyer will ask about the engine.

Administrator

Given the right price, I always prefer to buy an aircraft with an engine that needs a repair/overhaul than one with a fresh one.
I agree that the general market, however, seems to think otherwise.
The reason for my thinking is simple and has been discussed here before: as a seller, you would want to do the cheapest possible repair job on an aircraft you want to sell, as opposed to one you want to keep for your use.
I always question big repairs done just prior to selling. Perhaps this owner is thinking his buyer will think so?
A lot of sellers give you the option to deliver with the repair done or pending for this reason (that opens up the market to both types of buyers)..
One disadvantage, though, is if the pending job stops the aircraft from being test-flown. In that case a further discount is warranted.
If it’s a lapsed AD, a PtF can be granted for a few verification flights.

Antonio

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message