Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jet Pack - any practical application whatsoever?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course: commuting from any place in the greater London metro area into central London. Make that any large metro area in the world.
Fun, rescue services, extracting prisoners from the prison yard. And most of the stuff we can watch in Superman and X-men movies :))))

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

It’s all fun and games until one quits. Then you have an interesting Vmca problem…

Not sure if Vmca is a real issue – the thing is pretty much “centerline thrust” I would say. Now if both quit, what would Vbg be ?

Friedrichshafen EDNY

No idea about Vbg, but glide ratio will be 0:whatever.

Biggin Hill

The first public appearance (that I am aware of) of a jetpack was in the James Bond movie “Thunderball” in 1965. That was 52 years ago, almost as old as I am. Since then, the jetpack is a reality. Nobody so far has found a practical application for it. In half a century. Why should that change, only because a new manufacturer tries to find a market for it?

EDDS - Stuttgart

Well it’s in use in space

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Why should that change, only because a new manufacturer tries to find a market for it?

I believe the newer ones have an endurance of tens of minutes rather than tens of seconds, which would help.

kwlf wrote:

I believe the newer ones have an endurance of tens of minutes rather than tens of seconds, which would help.

A little. But it will still inflict instant death if one of the many components should fail or the operator loses control in some way. This narrows the possible users down to the BASE jumping community…

EDDS - Stuttgart

I bet this one has some kind of glide ratio

Jetman just needs to figure out how to takeoff and land on a runway

Last Edited by AirV at 16 Jan 20:29
EFHF
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message