Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extra 400

Hoses. I use Saywell in Worthing, UK. Most of these hoses are under 100 quid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Good news: it was a good idea to do the IRAN. After inspection it turns out that all cylinders are serviceable and all valves are in good shape.
At this stage, our vision is that it is better to reuse proven parts that show no wear rather than install new ones that may well fail in the first few hours in service.
So now we need to have the cylinders re-honed, tons of parts repainted and we can start re-assembly with the goal of balancing the top end to within 1 gram.
The bottom end being already balanced and left intact and the prop sent out for an early overhaul, I feel that Galatea will get as nice a powerplant as can be – certainly looking forward to first start.
Thanks to everyone who helped me on this decision making process!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I’m happy for you! You’ll be a happy owner! Just leave yourself some working redundancy and planning/ flying leeway initially for the unavoidable minor things you will have to correct when you think you are done.

Last Edited by Antonio at 13 Feb 13:14
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Very wise Antonio. I will. I wish my maintenance shop’s home runway were longer than 900 m and lower altitude (2000 ft)… It annoys me that I will have to use full power on the first take off after rebuild and hope for the best as there will be no room for stopping in case of power loss. We’ll need a good headwind and minimum weight I guess…
Maybe I should also get some training myself – I will have 4 + months of down time at best.
Thanks again for support and advice.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

You should use full power after a rebuild, don’t try to baby your engine, you’ll only create problems further down the line.

EGTF, LFTF

Yes, full power is best if all parameters are good. If there is a bit of excess MP on the first take off you can and surely will throttle down to adjust.

On first flight after deep maintenance, after the thoroughest pre-flight I tend to carry little fuel and do a short 15 min flight in the circuit then land, de cowl and check for anything abnormal. I once found a fuel leak from a loose fitting that had not been leaking on the ground checks. Always cautious on those first flights!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Flyingfish wrote:

Good news: it was a good idea to do the IRAN. After inspection it turns out that all cylinders are serviceable and all valves are in good shape. At this stage, our vision is that it is better to reuse proven parts that show no wear rather than install new ones that may well fail in the first few hours in service.

There is no distinction here between IRAN and overhaul. The distinction is that to overhaul you measure everything and establish whether it is serviceable by reference to the overhaul manual, whereas IRAN inspection can be more subjective – for example “this part shows zero wear” by visual inspection. However, unless the overhaul manual says so directly, this difference does not mean you have to replace serviceable, unworn components as part of overhaul.

Happy to read that your engine is going together nicely. It will run nicely with your careful attention, regardless of what you call it. The metal cannot read the paperwork

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Feb 17:19

@tmo apologies for missing your insightful post – don’t know what happened but thank you.

To all, your support much appreciated.
Project stalled right now because the @#$ maintenance manager is a chicken and ran away to where these birds live.

Actually working from here, but more on the software side of life…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I read with interest you reports on the Extra 400.
I’m also a fan of Mike Patey and he’s channel regarding homebuild aircrafts.
He has a company doing special zip ties.
Could this be an idea for your rewiring job.
https://griplockties.com/mikepatey/

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark
ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message