Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sonaca 200 - the end

Ultranomad wrote:

O-235 or even O-320 may be somewhat cheaper to operate than Rotax if the utilisation is high and you buy avgas excise- and VAT-free.

That sounds like it might be a good analysis. But it confirms that, for the vast majority of private owners (whose utilisation is “medium” at best, and who do not have access to tax-free avgas except on the occasional excursion to the Channel Islands or so) the Rotax is the more economical engine.

Then again, there is not really a comparison between an R912 and an O320, they are too different.
Neither is there a comparison between old designs like the C150/152 or MS885/890/892/893/8?? and this here “state of the art” Sonaca 200.

Regarding the Sonaca 200: it seems to be based on a South-African design, optimised for EU-VLA usage – which today is rather limited; but what there is is indeed in tuition.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Oddly enough, especially so considering I wasn’t flying but driving outside of my area, I saw one of those South African devices (a Sling 2) crossing the road on final approach yesterday! A Google search confirms the two are the same thing It’s a South African design.

If the utilization is low enough, e.g. one person’s recreational flying, the main things that matter economically with an aircraft engine are how much it cost you in the first place and that it doesn’t break or require expensive calendar driven periodic service.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Apr 17:21

The Tecnam 2008 at our school has stood up well after a couple of years – more robust than expected.

The 1970’s trainers do appear to reach the end of the road at around 20,000 hours of circuit bashing – for example the indestructible Cessna gear finally manages to cause splits in the rear bulkhead.

Assuming they will go on for ever may be unrealistic…now a certain tube and fabric type does appear to be rebuildable in perpetuity like Trigger’s broom (here I need one of those helpful links).

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 30 Apr 20:19
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

Oddly enough, especially so considering I wasn’t flying but driving outside of my area, I saw one of those South African devices (a Sling 2) crossing the road on final approach yesterday! A Google search confirms the two are the same thing It’s a South African design.

It also looks like an oversized Bede BD-17:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Silvaire wrote:

Interesting. Also interesting is the manufacturing method, much like a modern aircraft kit, and the Sling 2 can also be delivered as a kit together with the Sling 4.

The Sling comprises a stressed skin semi-monocoque structure, precision punched from sheet aluminium by CNC punch. Punching is so precise that no drilling-out or de-burring is required. Parts go together much as with a child’s “Mechano” toy. The entire build is light, precise and simple, even for beginners to manage.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

but has anyone actually operated these and smashed them up?

Yes. One school that I know wrote off 6 VLA’s in 7 years (it might be 7 in 6 years I can’t remember).

And having flown a couple of them and spoken to people who have operated the others I’ve come to the conclusion that the only one that’s any good the aqullia 210 and the DA20. But all of them cost more to operate than the C152 and in most cases were only brought because its nigh on impossible to source good quality C152’s.

Look what you can do with a C150. I can teach PPL, CPL, night, aero’s, IMC and it has good crosswind limits. A school close to me has a sportscruiser and they have a 7 imposed a 7 knot crosswind limit on it – that’s no good for the bottom line.

Now I do like the look of the Sonaca 200 and I’m really pleased that they are designing the air-frame to be strong but its got to be cheaper to operate than the C152. Looking at it specs it looks too extravagant and that costs money. I would rather see 10 pounds and hour cheaper running costs and no turbo (912is would be better), no 750 fpm climb rate (400fpm is fine), no 115 knot cruise (90 is plenty), 140 liters (What? the 912is burns 14 liters an hour so that 10 hours endurance – 70 liters would do me)

Last Edited by Bathman at 01 May 08:37

The Sonaca 200 is a Sling 2 with a number of modifications to achieve VLA certification.
It was tested in Aviation & Pilote a couple of months back. If you don’t read french I can do a summary.

ESMK, Sweden

No French here, so that would be very nice.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Just flew it for a short trip in the area. Did some sharp turns and a couple of stalls. Someone more qualified than me have to describe it, but I liked it very much. Of the other planes I have flown it reminded me most of the WT-9 Dynamic, only more balanced in roll, and more “tight”, but at the same time it has considerably more inertia, it was rather gusty today. It was really nice indeed, quick and effortless in roll and pitch, but with very god directional stability. Maybe a “sport car” version of the AA-5 also is a somewhat good-ish description?

The price for a brand new one is €175k, not sure exactly what’s included in that price. This actual plane is a prototype/experimental Sling 2. It had “XXL” tanks. The default is 140 liters, but this one had two additional tanks. I reckon it could fly around the world without re-fueling. The Sonaca 200 is the certified VLA version of the Sling 2. The Sling 2 is also sold as an experimental kit, and with a Rotax 914 (turbo), it surely is a very good travelling machine, similar to the Europe I would guess, cruising at 115 knots TAS at 15k feet using only 15 l/h. The build quality was top as far as I could see, good seats.

Coffee, waffles at the club, and trying the brand new Sonaca 200. A very good way to spend some lazy Sunday hours

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s a very nice looking plane and I like the all metal construction personally.

By ‘sport car version of AA-5’ I’m guessing you mean a Grumman? I could understand the comparison but might more directly compare it to a two-place AA-1 with a 150 HP O-320, with which many have now been equipped. Or maybe a Bölkow Monsun, of which it reminds me even more.

Nice photos

Sign in to add your message