Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sonaca 200 - the end

The fuel burn of the 914 is not significantly higher than with the 912 S (115 HP vs. 100 HP). Since the Turbo System is regulated via the Turbo Control Unit, it’s not easy to really abuse the engine. Only thing that should definetely kept in mind is to cool run 2 minutes before shutting down. TBO is 2000 hours like any other Rotax. The 914 is the best Rotax engine. It runs smooth as the 80 HP (on which it is based) and has plenty of power at altitude and high temperatures…

EDLE

That looks just like a Sling. Anybody see any difference?

EDIT: Ok I was late to the game, it’s basically a Belgian Sling.

Last Edited by Dimme at 02 Oct 18:21
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Belgian
and certified, the latter being its more important difference to the Sling.
ESMK, Sweden

And 100K more expensive

Bathman wrote:

And 100K more expensive
There’s no free lunch.
ESMK, Sweden

A few weeks after AERO and its lot of optimistic articles, Sonaca declares stopping assembly of new aircraft due to their continue deficit and lack of orders.

LFOU, France

Sad for Namur (EBNM) airfield …

LFDU, Belgium

I thought they were doing rather well? Aerolocarno has a few of them. MFGZ also recently just got two of them. The guy in the video mentions that they got them for a „good price“. Anyone know what that means?

Also, before stopping production altogether, why not jack up the prices as needed and then see if the aircraft still sells?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A pity. Seemed like a properly built and well-equipped aircraft.

As stated in the article, it’s not easy to succeed with just one product in the portfolio, and not having an extensive distribution network. Plus they seemed to have marketed it as a trainer only. Cost of production must also be high in Belgium.

At the AERO, Bristell told me their B23 (direct competitor to the Sonaca aircraft) is selling quite well, and if you order one now, delivery would clearly be into 2023. They claim to build 10 aircraft a month now, but that’s for the whole range of certified/kit/ULM and high-wing/low wing. They have a worldwide reach which also helps.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I find it amazing that a distributor network is a necessary thing. It tends to add no value and adds ~20% to the price.

In turn, the manufacturer adjusts its conduct to avoid dealing too closely with customers, which makes a bad dealer even worse because you can’t go direct.

That was certainly the case for Socata.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message