Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The very definition of a cheap twin.

Now here is actually a really cheap twin. Bang for buck, this is impossible to beat. Turboprop speeds and pressurization for less than a brand new 911.

602P/700

Look at the engine times – excellent. The 602P model is also on of the later ones and some of the best that came out of factory, this one modified to to 700 (which just means it has 350hp engines). Fully supported still and the upgrade options on these are excellent; You can put winglets on, aux fuel tanks, higher 5.5psi pressurization (so you can go to FL280), bleed air cabin heating, full FIKI etc etc – you name it and there’s an upgrade for it.

This is the same model that averaged 276kts on the London to Sydney race a few years back, beating King Air’s in average speed.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 02 May 11:14

Um, yes, that is very few money for a plane with this kind of potential on TBO and being well equipped.

Not the cheapest to fly though, but it may well be a chance for someone.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This plane has been for sale for the past three years… I know it well :-)

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

This plane has been for sale for the past three years… I know it well

Pray, do tell!

Biggin Hill

What’s wrong with it? @Shorrick_Mk2

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 02 May 20:14

I’m not qualified enough to say whether there’s anything wrong per se – I do know it was involved in a crosswind landing accident in Bern, there was some dispute over the repair costs and eventually the plane became property of the maintenance org. that fixed it (which is the one advertising it). I think it was originally advertised at twice this price if not even more. I don’t think it has flown that much since… but if it were that good of a deal it would’ve been sold by now.

I guess the number of potential buyers for this type in Europe must be quite small as well (plus European VAT to pay…), Switzerland is extremely well connected by commercial carriers to Europe and 200k pays for a lot of airfares… ^^

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 02 May 19:15

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

I do know it was involved in a crosswind landing accident in Bern, …

One can guess something in that way that when looking at the engine and propeller times.

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

I guess the number of potential buyers for this type in Europe must be quite small as well

The “N” registration will not help much either. Most people would not even accept a pressurised piston twin as a gift (I am one of them). A somewhat familiar Cessna 340 with freshly overhauled engines and good avionics, “D” registered with all ADs and SIDs (or whatever they are called) done, which had been advertised for quite some time was recently sold for less than 100,000 Euros I am told. Every thing has it’s time and the age of the piston twins ended 20 years ago.

EDDS - Stuttgart

As Adam has operated one of these airplanes, he might be able to tell more about the cost of operating one. From what I have heard about Aerostars, they are not cheap to operate but still quite a way away from “heavy” twins like a 340. Maybe the time for these heavy twins is over, but there is still a lot of piston twins operating for a variety of reasons, most of them Pipers. PA30/39, PA34 and also quite a few Aerostars. True, piston Cessnas and heavier Pipers like the Navajo are mostly gone.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

… but there is still a lot of piston twins operating …

I was mainly referring to the pressurised ones. And I can’t see a reason why a C340 (which, by the way, has 300lb less max. takeoff mass then the Aerostar!) should be more expensive to operate than the Aerostar.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I think the 340 and Aerostar probably on par, maybe a little less for Aerostar since you don’t have to factor in SID’s etc. The 421 Golden Eagles would be even more. Nice rides, much bigger, but their engines make little sense today financially. You’d be running a twin turbine for the same money, give or take.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message