Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus BRS / chute discussion, and would you REALLY pull it?

I doubt that it is easy in UK to insure a plane with market value of let’s say 50k with an agreed value of 400k – even if theoretically such an agreed value would be possible…

Indeed, but you can insure my 2002 TB20 for 195k, and I always have.

From a risk/reward point of view, this decision is very, very easy.

Not necessarily, if you plan to do it more often See examples of where the insurer massively increased the terms, following a chute pull which they evidently thought unjustified.

If you are a renter, and your back is in a good condition, then I agree 100%. Just steer it away from a primary school / convent / etc and pull the chute.

pull early, pull often
Does anybody else think about a birth control slogan when they read this or is it just me ?

I think it is too late by then

Actually I think that is a really bad slogan, because it is basically saying that pilots should not use their brain before pulling. In reality – structural failure or some such excepted – you normally have time.

And with engine stoppages, unless there is a piston sticking out of the cowling, the issue is quite likely some form of fuel system disruption due to icing – example. I’ve had two of those on the TB20, leading to an investigation with an instrumented aircraft proving that the fuel servo ices up at -15C unless alternate air (or prop TKS) is used.

There must be only a small number of scenarios where pulling immediately, regardless of altitude, is the smartest thing. Even above the Alps I would not do that, because you are within glide of a flat bottomed canyon perhaps 90% of the time, but if you just pull immediately, there is probably a 90% chance of “landing” on a very sharp rock.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@lenthamen wrote:

Here’s the Cirrus Guide to CAPS: https://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/CAPS_Guide.pdf local copy

This answers my question, because it is exactly related to the scenarios I have written down. Thank you.

@Peter I’m surprised that have moved the thread to this one??

EDDS , Germany

The topics have converged, and the new additions total more than 50 posts so it is quite “clean”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If it is with a lot of extra height and near the runway, I’d try to land back on. Or if I’m really certain I can land here (I know, I know…).
In all other scenarios I’d (if I can):
stabilise the plane,
bring the speed to the right numbers (below Vpd),
move away from the built-up areas or less hospitable terrain/water (if possible),
descend a to, say, 1000’,
and then pull it.

EGTR

You would do the same as using ejection seats it is just under the CAPS is too relaxed experience when you pull, the landing will not be a walk in the park though

Wearing parachute, full flaps and using air-breaks are also acceptable means to save your skin

Why not most of touring SEPs don’t get equipped with air-brakes or lift spoilers?
(some aircraft have them already C182 and M20K)

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jan 18:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

Btw: Is there any example of a pilot who died in Europe during the failed attempt of an off airport no power landing after an engine failure in let’s say the last 20 years?

Not due to an engine failure but there was a crash of a Piper Saratoga near to Arnsburg in 2013 when he ran out of fuel. He set up for an off field landing, hit the trees, crashed, killing himself and 4 passengers….

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 13 Jan 20:21
EDL*, Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Can you quote one actual example in Europe in the last 20 years for that “often enough”? I.e. a forced landing after an engine failure in an altitude that would have been high enough for a chute (i.e. no MEP single engine go around crash) and that lead to a casualty?

As per my previous post, D-EERB, August 2013. Not an engine failure per se but a failure due to fuel exhaustion. The end result with a chute could have been less devastating.

Malibuflyer wrote:

Sorry, but that is the cheap “Whoever has arguments against something is only jealous about those who have it”-argument that is also not helpful if applied for GA as a whole. You can have doubts about the actual safety impact of the chute even w/o being jealous about it. I’ve heard there are even pilots who flew Cirruses for some time but then switched to a plane that fit their needs even better…

As a member of COPA, I know quite a few Cirrus pilots personally. The issue with a Cirrus is that it has a particular utility. Once that utility is insufficient for the mission requirements, the pilots will typically change to an aircraft more fitting of their needs. This is NOT a statement against either the aircraft itself or the chute but it’s solely about mission. I don’t know why you’d even raise the point of Cirrus pilots swapping their steed, unless you are trying to insinuate that they didn’t see the value of the Chute.

However, of those I have spoken to, of those who posted on COPA about their change, a significant majority have wished they could have the added security granted with a chute. Some have actually moved up to the Cirrus Jet.

EDL*, Germany

Peter wrote:

There must be only a small number of scenarios where pulling immediately, regardless of altitude, is the smartest thing. Even above the Alps I would not do that, because you are within glide of a flat bottomed canyon perhaps 90% of the time, but if you just pull immediately, there is probably a 90% chance of “landing” on a very sharp rock.

Check the outcome of numerous pulls in the Rockies or similar mountainous terrains. None have ended with the Cirrus ‘landing’ on a very sharp rock. Indeed, some were amazed about the position of certain aircraft amongst the rocks….. luck maybe, but when the brown stuff hits the fan, maybe that’s all you need……

EDL*, Germany

You got a problem, you pull the chute. That’s why Cirrus sells 400 airplanes a year, and all others together not even 40.

Nobody in his right mind would jeopardize his survival by intentionally not pulling the chute, apart from bad training or individual bravado.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 13 Jan 21:12
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I come to that conclusion that a chute is big safety enhancement by practising PFLs from 2000ft to the ground in few types, in Arrow/Mooney, I think I would survive most of them but I am certainly dead two out of ten (one got really ugly in last minute that I got a big relief when engine did bring power back, big lesson learned that day), having said that, I don’t feel a chute is that nessary when flying other types C172/DA40/Cub, I am sure I would walk from it on my own, but this is my personal opinion/experience…

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jan 21:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message