Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus BRS / chute discussion, and would you REALLY pull it?

We got the Fluxgate excitation lost message, our Attitude Indicator ( Artificial Horizon) looked like a Picasso and failed, our auto pilot stopped working with no alarm sounding and our radio's were crackling and filled with static

Just picking up on this little point (let's ignore the flight near/into a TS, etc) I have heard several 1st hand reports of SR22s, DA40s, DA42 getting avionics crashes during flight in IMC, presumably due to static. Obviously it can never be reproduced.

Are the static wicks on an SR22 all interconnected, and connected to a continuous metal mesh which is inside every composite surface?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My faith is not in man or in things made by man.

I can suggest quit flying

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Amen to that, Emir! (pun intended)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Amen to that, Emir! (pun intended)

When reading this report (not every word of it I confess) I also wondered: If praying loud is all what's required for saving a difficult situation, why did he order his Cirrus with a chute in the first place?

EDDS - Stuttgart

This morning I read a review of the 5th Gen SR22 in the US AOPA mag.

Cirrus have replaced the mechanical chute activation mechanism with an electrical one.

It connects to both the main and reserve batteries, but if both are insufficiently charged, you have... no chute.

A bit like the DA42 mechanism for a dual engine failure.

I know it should never happen, but...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@what next, You can't get it without the chute, that's probably why...

I'm sure the poor fellows who had a dual engine failure in the DA42 also were quite surprised. It's not "supposed" to happen, yet anything we invent has failure modes that we didn't know about until they happened.

This guy is fortunate that he sorted out the situation. Not sure that he had "help" from anyone, but that's his business.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Yes he lost me when he got religious - otherwise an interesting story. Someone starts praying before I fly with them I think I would get out.

EGTK Oxford

You can see that the chute is still inside the airplane. This can have severe consequences depending on the finding. It could result in some/many/all Cirrus owners having to repack their chute (ca € 13 000).

Also keep in mind who left Europe for America starting the 16th century and for what reasons. Kansas is not San Francisco either

There was a commercial airliner crash in 2005, where praying was not a help at all;

here

In fact, the pilots were jailed for failing to follow the SOP emergency procedures (which could have resulted in a successful landing) but decided to pray instead.

They were sentenced to 8 and 10 years respectively for the manslaughter of 16 passengers.

When I flew to Egypt I learned that all ATC instructions come with a caveat: "Insha'Allah" (God willing). In 100% of the cases you get things like "N12345 cleared to land runway 36, Insha'Allah". Never without. One of my landings there did not have His full support... (feared I would have to pay 4x landing fee).

Another important Arabic phrase is Allahu Akbar (God is the Greatest) which played an important rule in the EgyptAir Flight 990 incident.

Sign in to add your message