Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Chinese copies of TB20 (Avic LE500) and Cessna (Little Eagle 700)

Does the Little Eagle 500 look familiar, too?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Copied? I believe they own them :-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

They might just be old refurbished Cessnas/Socatas. Then they rebrand them and sell them as own in the domestic market. Maybe because it is easier to certify them this way? It would be way too painful to copy the aircraft down to every single detail.

ESME, ESMS
ESME, ESMS

Aaaahhh threads merged

I doubt it – that is a 1988 article. Yeah, the chinks probably visited the Socata factory to see how to copy it.

Interesting though that Socata were looking for foreign manufacture that far back. It was examined much later but without success.

I don’t know about that Cessna (I believe the claim is that it is a copy, not a refurbished Cessna) but the TB20 is definitely a copy, made in China. The Chinese cannot sell it to the “civilised world” due to lack of Part 23 certification, and possibly a risk of litigation from Socata, but they can sell it to “captive” customers in their region. AFAIK it was done for flying schools.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Someone described China to me as “open source manufacturing” which is quite apt. I understand the government turns a blind eye or doesn’t fully recognise foreign intellectual property (a quick internet search has hundreds of funny examples). Certainly, when I was in up-the-supply-chain litigation a couple of years ago the lawyers said it would be near impossible to do anything in the Chinese courts, which could be overruled by the government anyway.

I’ve never really had quality problems importing from China. A few years ago we ran out of stock, so bought from a UK factory (with knackered machines, leaky injection moulding tools…) at a premium. I soon had an irate customer on the phone complaining about quality, saying, “I know what you’ve done, you’ve given me cheap Chinese crap!” He absolutely refused to believe they had been manufactured in the UK and he’d been buying ‘crap’ for years

For a communist country, their manufacturing certainly seems to understand capitalism better than UK factories From my experience:

• UK factory takes a week to quote, quotes the wrong thing, takes another couple of days to correct, increases the price, has a non-negotiable +/- 10% quantity, is late on delivery, 30% chance it’s made wrong, and refuses to re-manufacture.
  • Chinese factory quotes in hours, makes it, ships it.

Looking at the photo, a quick TB20 question: why is the elevator so far behind the rudder?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

For a communist country, their manufacturing certainly seems to understand capitalism better than UK factories

That’s because China isn’t a communist country other than in name… It has a heavily state-regulated market economy.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

China is still looking at GA…

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/china-ga-growing-slowly/

Pics of their TB20 copy:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message