Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

149 hrs in 17 years... G-TBGT / N36GT TB20

There are good reasons for someone liking a TB20 – or indeed some other specific type.

I would not suggest buying this one for low engine hours. As I often say, that is a risk not a benefit, in most cases. But if this one has a pristine airframe, that is worth a lot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

Nothing against TB20s but that of asking premium prices for an older airframe with older equipment just because it has low engine hours.

I agree, low engine hours mean preciously little and even a full overhaul of an engine is a well known quantity. In this case however, what does warrant a little extra money is the fact that the whole airframe is exceptionally low on hours, IF and only IF the condition of that airframe is corresponding to those low hours.

In the best of cases, that is that the airframe has been properly treated and preserved over all these years such as in dry hangar, regular and proper maintenance e.t.c. then this is indeed a very rare bird. If additionally the engine would prove to be in a condition also representative of the low hours, one could in theory get an airplane which is rare in the used market. The avionics update is significant but not a killer imho at a minimum I’d say 50k should sort it out, of course the scope is open if someone wants a full glasscockpit or so.

But what you’d get for that price (even if someone would pay this sum) would be a very capable FIKI, 1200 NM range and quite comfortable airframe, which in this form is not made anymore by anyone.

If someone is looking for a real pristine TB20 and is willing to take on an avionic project then this may well be the airplane. Emir wrote:

Agree but that’s more-less complete panel.

As I said, this depends strongly how. Both 8.33 and a new GPS can be achieved by replacing one of the NAV/COMS with a used GNS430 (W preferrably).

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If someone is looking for a real pristine TB20 and is willing to take on an avionic project then this may well be the airplane.

If I was in market for SEP, I would go for this aircraft. Which is not surprising, since I owned very similar one

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I believe the question is how much would you be willing to pay for it as-is; a secondary one would be how you would upgrade the panel and at what estimated cost.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

I don’t believe a single TB21 has ever gone 1000hrs before changing cylinders,

They can, and I know one that did @ 1500H with no cylinder issues.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter wrote:

I would not suggest buying this one for low engine hour

Why not ? A full engine tear-down / inspection -/build-up is just aprox. 15K€, which is not even 10% of the asking price and probably easily negotiated.

Or better yet, make the engine internal inspection part of the pre-buy or some sort of reserve and if there are major issues with the engine then those repairs come out of the reserve.

Last Edited by Michael at 05 Nov 09:11
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

and another one !
http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=38235

185 hours in 15 years for this Tobago GT.

maybe Socata is secretly discounting their old stock

Last Edited by Alboule at 06 Nov 19:38
LFNR

The asking price is probably more than when it was new

Like the previous one, this could be pristine, or a corroded wreck, or anything in between, depending on the hangarage. However, nearly all damage to aircraft is done by maintenance, so these 15 year old planes won’t be cosmetically perfect… assuming they were actually serviced.

A TB200 is very rare. Only a small number were made.

Administrator

This was a demonstrator, if I remember correcly. Hangaraged for a long time. Never saw it in the air recently…

EBST, Belgium

The Comanche posts have been moved to the new Comanche thread here.

How many people have a heated (I mean 24/7 heated) hangar?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message