Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper piston PA46 Malibu / Mirage and other pressurised SEPs (and some piston versus PT6 discussion)

How many deadstick approaches are flown to airport runways without declaring an emergency?

Subsidiary question – who would want to take the chance to fly one into a significant airport without declaring an emergency?

T28
Switzerland

I don’t think that the act of landing under a mayday generates any kind of accident report. ATC is just happy you got down ok. Only a crash might.

Also I doubt that there are many deadstick landings. You would get one if the engine blows up, like this, but that is rare.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
T28
Switzerland

T28 wrote:

How many deadstick approaches are flown to airport runways without declaring an emergency?

If the starting point before complete engine failure was fx FL200 under ATC control IFR then I think zero.

Partial engine failure with reduced power or problem with engine somehow (bad turbo fx) might be another story.

THY
EKRK, Denmark

T28 wrote:

If you can hold and fit with other traffic yes, even pan-pan you are not in the top of the queue

THY wrote:

If the starting point before complete engine failure was fx FL200 under ATC control IFR then I think zero.

In UK, they do “cancel IFR” once you drop bellow airspace base with deadstick, I was still at 3000ft above a broken cloud layer I heard those words once on a mayday but I was too busy to reply…

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Sep 15:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I heard those words once on a mayday but I was too busy to reply

What forced you down and other than alive, how did you end up?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I run out of fuel on the way to the alternate I landed safely in a farm strip, lesson learned don’t do it again

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Sep 21:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Well done for the safe outcome! Without too much of a thread diversion, how did you know the strip was there beneath the clouds you were over?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Sebastian_G wrote:

The mask are hard to reach and complicated. And once activated you are looking at a 4 digit maintenance event.

Why do you say it’s a maintenance event to activate the mask drop? I know that it’s a pain to re-pack the masks in the ceiling, but I know it is not a big deal, at least in a King Air.

If you have depressurisd and are starting an emergency descent I think you have a maintenance event coming anyway!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

“If you can hold and fit with other traffic yes, even pan-pan you are not in the top of the queue”

@Ibra, a plane that can do holds and fit with other traffic when dead-stick would violate the first law of thermodynamics.

Not to mention that 14 CFR 91.3b as well as its UK equivalent puts you by default at the top of the queue after an emergency is declared.

Last Edited by T28 at 29 Sep 17:31
T28
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message