Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper piston PA46 Malibu / Mirage and other pressurised SEPs (and some piston versus PT6 discussion)

Even though EuroGA is by far my most frequently read forum, you can’t beat MMOPA for PA46 type specific advice. Similarly you can’t beat EuroGA for respectful and authoritative comment and opinion on many aspects of EU flying. There is definitely a place for both.

Through a post on the MMOPA Forum I saved over $18,000 after I found a company that was able to do a seal replacement and pressure test the hydraulic power pack from my Meridian. All other alternatives I found quoted were new replacement or OEM overhaul. So not a bad return on a $250 investment.

I would certainly recommend it even for a prospective owner and certainly if you take the step and actually buy a PA46.

Lydd

It seems that around $250k will get you a late 1980’s Malibu with WAAS and autopilot, mid life engine, which suggests good value for this capable type.

I feel @Peter could probably swap his TB20 and get a faster, pressurised cross country IFR machine! :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In Europe around 270k for a well taken care of example.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 16 Sep 19:08
always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes, but be prepared to seriously consider converting it to a Jetprop when the engine packs in. And BTW the engines NEVER make it to TBO, or anywhere close.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

Yes, but be prepared to seriously consider converting it to a Jetprop when the engine packs in.

I would seriously think about investing 650k USD into a 30+ year old airframe. If a PT6 is an option rather search for a Meridian or Jetprop right away.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Buckerfan wrote:

Yes, but be prepared to seriously consider converting it to a Jetprop when the engine packs in

Jetprops are great planes – especially the ones based on the older Malibus that have a great useful load.

They are, however, for many reasons not always the better alternative to a piston Malibu. Therefore the question if a conversion makes sense depends on the mission profile.

Sebastian_G wrote:

I would seriously think about investing 650k USD into a 30+ year old airframe.

I would seriously think about every investment in that range ;-) The conversion, however, gives you the capabilities of a 2Mio. plane at about 1 Mio. So it is also something one might seriously consider.
Buying a Jetprop right away obviously might also be an option if you need one – good Jetprops, however, are even harder to find than good piston Malibus…

Germany

Regarding the PA46. Does the piston versions require a type rating in Europe?

Also when looking at the asking prices of used PA46 I wonder why it looks like 5-10 years older jetprop conversions are priced same or higher than a native turboprop version (Meridian)? Is the jetprop really that much better? Is it cheaper to operate or what’s the deal?

THY
EKRK, Denmark
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The piston PA46 requires the SEP(land) class rating and
(not further specified) differences training with a FI for retractable gear, variable pitch prop, pressurization, turbocharged and, depending on avionics, efis.

The turbine PA46 requires Piper SET class rating.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 20 Sep 06:47
always learning
LO__, Austria

THY wrote:

Regarding the PA46. Does the piston versions require a type rating in Europe?

They unfortunately no longer do. There was a typerating (incl. HPA requirement) until approx. 6 years ago. Today SEP CR is enough.
Unfortunately because a) you need a transition training with the content of the former TR training anyways to be able to fly this plane safely and b) there are some reports that getting coverage for new owners is more difficult now (prior TA and some reasonable hrs total time were enough while now some insurers seem to ask for 50hrs PA-46 with safety pilot before you can fly on your own…).

THY wrote:

Also when looking at the asking prices of used PA46 I wonder why it looks like 5-10 years older jetprop conversions are priced same or higher than a native turboprop version (Meridian)?

There are many different versions of the Meridian out there. Some of them have significantly less useful load and/or range and/or higher fuel consumption (esp. at lower altitudes) than 310p-Jetprops. It gets even worse when you look at avionics: Esp. the Meridians with Megitt avionics often only leave an “all or nothing” upgrade path to a G500 if you want to have WAAS-capability that will present you an 150k bill due to the autopilot (at least you seem to have any options at all now).

Therefore some versions of the Meridians are clearly inferior to a good Jetprop but I would not say so in general for al Meridians and all mission profiles

Germany
Sign in to add your message