Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

All over for the Mustang?

As a response to the current oversupply of biz jets on the market, Cessna temporarily suspended production of the Mustang and CJ models a few weeks ago.

Rumours emanating from the Wichita area seem to suggest that the Mustang might in fact not ever go back into production.

Could it be the end of the Mustang and of Cessna's participation in the VLJ market?

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

Maybe, with Citations going, in a good condition, for half the price of a new Mustang and offering much more capability, not a lot of people are buying new Mustangs?

There is also considerable uncertainty in Europe over what EASA is doing with the type ratings etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Don't forget the Part NCC Ops.

United Kingdom

What's in them?

Administrator

Part-NCC = Non-Commercial Complex aircraft operations. Basically, a set of regulations intended to raise the level of private (PPL) operators of complex aircraft, i.e. jets and turboprops. If you operate an aircraft above 5700 kg today you need the assistance of an organization. This isn't well defined in the old national regulations so NCC should make it equal for everyone. And, possibly safer (?)

Regarding the Mustang, the benefits of that aircraft lie in lower operating costs. However, if you can save a million dollars on the purchase of a slightly used CJ that gives you a lot of flying time for the money. On the other hand, Cessna have delivered hundreds of Mustangs so it is reasonably successful.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Also, from 2014 (or whatever) foreign reg planes "based" in Europe will need EASA Part M involvement of some sort - if they are "EASA Complex" i.e. ME turboprop or SE or ME turbojets, or above 5700kg, or above 18 seats, or multi pilot.

Quite how this will work with regard to FAA authorised modifications is going to be absolutely hilarious, because an EASA CAMO has no legal competence to sign off anything on a non-EASA-reg airframe!

I expect the result will be a "you pay €1000, Sir, and we will sign the piece of paper". Which, in a King Air or above, is not going to worry anybody, but people will wonder how far this will go.

The "EASA Complex" threshold was carefully set to support Pilatus and Socata, at the expense of the US-made King Air. Even a KA90 will need the EASA CAMO signoff.

Why this should specifically affect the Mustang I don't know. But look at Diamond who have practically abandoned the D-Jet.

Administrator

I doubt European aviation policies plays a big part in this.

There just aren't that many people buying these VLJ's - not even the US.

I suspect the first 5 years of production (pre-GFC) took care of the pent up demand of private owner operators.

And the Mustang probably has too limited space (& "provisional" toilet) to be a genuine contender in the commercial sector.

And the Mustang probably has too limited space (& "provisional" toilet) to be a genuine contender in the commercial sector.

From pilots who fly/flew it I heard that the main problem with commercial operations is the limited payload. With two pilots (mandatory in our part of the world) you either take passengers or fuel on board, but not both. But the same is true for many other small jets like the CJ1 for example.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hey, no bad mouthing the CJ1 - it's far better than the VLJs! ;-)

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Krister is absolutely right.

Whilst there is definitely a fuel (and range) / passenger trade off with the CJ1, you can still take on enough fuel to take a reasonable number of people a reasonable distance.

With the Mustang it really IS just fuel, OR people.

The Mustang would be great for an owner pilot who flew with Mummy and the two kids - but there are a very limited number of those around. Anyone who bought a NEW Mustang instead of a tidy, low hour CJ1 for the same money needs their head looking at.

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message