Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 177 "Cardinal" RG - nice!

boscomantico wrote:

With the cooler temps around now, she indicated 157MPH / 137KTS at 10 GPH.

Let’s see, looks like your @ 3500’ and assuming standard DA, that would work out to about 148kt TAS – that’s a very clean & well rigged Cardinal RG !

I typically operate mine LOP @ 8.5gal/h which nets between 135 to 140 Kts TAS, depending on load , etc.

ps: if you’re alone or just 2 up front, put all your stuff as rearwards as possible – the Cardinal’s H-stab works hard so keeping the CG as aft as possible can net up to a 5 Kt gain in cruise !

Last Edited by Michael at 29 Sep 08:01
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Well, possibly I have been in a little bit of an updraft when I took that last photo there. Yesterday, I did the first real little cross country in the aircraft (Colmar, LFGA) and was able to check the cruise performance in a typical IFR cruise regime (FL70). 128KIAS @10GPH, so let’s call that 144KTAS. In other words: about 8-10 knots less than an average M20J, but more comfortable and with much better views (which I rate as quite important).

This was slightly ROP. I’ll test LOP next time.

Just a few more from the day.
At Mainz, EDFZ:

Colmar:

At Colmar, another 177RG joined me at the parking:

Cruise climb through 5000 feet:

Strasbourg city in the lower right:

Neuhof airfield (LFGC):

By the way, the STEC-50 in NAV mode tracked the GPS course perfectly:

In the descent, we were smoking along. Admitted, the tailwind helped:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Oct 13:46
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That bird is looking for a new owner.

Oh and nice pics and trip report.

Last Edited by Arne at 08 Oct 21:25
ESMK, Sweden

Yes, it is (unfortunately, for me) for sale.
Took it up today for a little short cross-country.
Climbs nicely through 5500 feet with theselow outside temps of course:

Cruise speed is a little down in these cold conditions; 129KIAS, which equated to 140 KTAS.
This was a tiny bit LOP (which it does OK) and 36 lph according to the JPI (according to the old analog fuel flow gauge, it was only about 30 litres, but I guess the JPI is closer to reality. The analog manifold pressure gauge also seems to be reading low…).

I’d be sad to see her go.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Dec 19:42

What is he asking for the aircraft?

Is the decoration easily removeable or do you have to repaint to ged rid of these starstuff?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Don’t know. On both accounts.

boscomantico wrote:

Cruise speed is … 129KIAS, which equated to 140 KTAS … LOP (which it does OK) and 36 lph according to the JPI (according to the old analog fuel flow gauge, it was only about 30 litres

That is spot on (140K true for 32gal/h, LOP) what I have been getting out of my Cardinal RG for the last 20 years!

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

32 gallons an hour is a bit over the top.

Egnm, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

32 gallons an hour is a bit over the top.

Oops, of course I meant “Lit/h”

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It was for sale on planecheck but no longer – did it sell? – I have a mooney (I like the speed and range) but I always have a soft spot for the cardinal RG – very elegant lines

Sign in to add your message