Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 177 "Cardinal" RG - nice!

From here there has been some discussion as to 177RG performance on grass.

I have flown it quite a lot on grass. It does have small wheels and tyre pressure is on the high side(I seem to recall 70 psi). While it does not excel, it is doable due to its relatively low weight, big flaps and slotted stabilator.

On soft ground I never tried MTOW, but with 960lbs useful load, I never needed to, even with four adults, and successfully used the following technique:

For t/o roll, the stabilator is very authoritative and you can rotate very early. This in turn will remove a lot of weight from wheels quite soon with flaps extended.
For parking, you have to either manually push it out of its rut before taxi or as I sometimes used to do, put a small wooden plank under the wheels so it does not dig in overnight.

Of course, you need to run your numbers and be familiar with the field. Again not ideal, but very doable.

Last Edited by Antonio at 28 Oct 08:06
Antonio
LESB, Spain

CharlieRomeo wrote:

maybe this one will work

Yes that was the one!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

It’s a shame that the 200hp io360 can’t get a mogas/91ul STC (presumably due to it being high compression).

Sweden

The link above is broken, maybe this one will work:

There’s also a part 2:

Found the promotion of the iPad docking station in the first one slightly annoying, but the rest of the videos does a good job in making me curious about the Cardinal.

I was told my club once had a C177 that was sold years before I joined due to lack of use. What a shame!

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

I just found this nice video on the 177! Quite ilustrative!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Will that C182P stay NReg?

Tököl LHTL

The subject plane of this thread has indeed been sold. I won‘t therefore be able to add anymore flight reports to this thread.
But: the substitute has already been purchased and will be on our fleet by spring. A beautiful C182P. So stand by for some flight report on that one…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Beautiful! I flew 800hrs in our Cardinal RG before selling it…lovely aircraft and all that has been said herein is totally true. Family outgrew the airplane and it had to go though…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thank you Mark,

and I‘m looking forward to readiing your report.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message