Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Labour of love L5

www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=39601

Stinson aircraft are normally very well built and also very good value in the case of the L5 and 108 variants (the Reliant and Gullwing art deco masterpieces are in a different price bracket).

This L5 which may have lived on in Italy after the Allies, used to be a glider tug if I am not mistaken, but has been restored. Very practical warbird with excellent slow speed handling characteristics.

[ pic added ]

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Neat Stinson. L5s have wood wings built it a way that can trap water like a swimming pool, and I understand that’s why not many still exist. This one is noted as having newly built wings.

Recently I ran into an old guy still flying after something like 60 years, who ran a crop spraying business. He told me that way back when they used L5s as dusters, and when they needed to carry more weight they added another set of wings, removed from Luscombes, making the L5s into biplanes. I was skeptical… but checked it out and he was not suffering dementia! (actually he was quite the renaissance man, invested his earnings from crop dusting in San Francisco real estate, made a fortune etc)

https://notastearman.wordpress.com/tag/clevenger-stinson/

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Apr 12:18
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message