Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quattro Cruiser

I saw this aircraft at the Aero show, and thought it quite interesting.

It’s the Quattro Cruiser by the Czech Sport Aircraft company.

The sticker on the window claims 250km/h with fuel consumption of 25l/h of unleaded with a 200hp UL Power 520is engine.

Looking at UL Power’s website it seems that 25l/h equates to around 80hp or about 40% power.
http://ulpower.com/en/engines/ul520/ul520is#4-fuel

Could it really do 250km/h (136kts) on 80hp?

It wasn’t mentioned at the show, but I saw on another website that they are hoping to retail it for a price of in the region of $400,000.

An interesting aircraft, and a fast, economical cruise on mogas if it turns out to be true.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I very much doubt it. If 80HP produced 136kt, 200HP would produce something approaching 200kt which is implausible. I think it is the usual way of specifying performance in that market

Their website is here and it doesn’t make it clear either. It’s an LSA currently, apparently, although they talk about 1000kg MTOW and CS23…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Old marketing trick probably.

It can fly 250 km/h. It can be flown so as to burn 25 lph.but not at the same time.

Their own website show different speeds they think it can achieve.

The numbers they quote are interesting but at the same time not encouraging.

With the TEO540 it is supposed to run 150 kt in cruise and 170 max. (with 300 hp a very bad performance)
With the UL520, it is supposed to run 135 kt in cruise and 154 max. with that engine, range is given as 468 NM with 30 mins reserve .

Now if they take that range with 135 kt and 25 liters per hour, Then that airplane has fuel tanks of about 100 liters.
Then how far will it fly with the TEO540? How many circuits can you do before it runs out of fuel?

They say MTOW is 1000 kg (ok probably 999 once they are finished) and empty weight 480kg or 560 depending on the engine. That gives 520 kgs payload for the UL and 440 kgs with the TEO540. That makes it a certified airplane it is well beyond the UL range. And that means, call again in 10 years.

Sounds pretty half baked. too many things which don’t fit together.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message