Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stemme

I love this self launching glider.

Has anyone some experience with that glider to share?

The Stemme is a beautify designed set of engineering solutions looking for a problem, it is over complicated and very expensive . Unless you have money to burn stay well away.

Do you mean maintenance is an issue, or that the capabilities of this aircraft are already addressed by cheaper aircraft?

EGTF, LFTF

A local sailplane place has a Stemme that they rent for some truly outrageous amount of money – a result they told me of of the elaborate maintenance procedures.

Whether a clever designer could achieve the same performance with less complexity is I suppose open to question. That clearly wasn’t the Stemme design approach, complexity was seemingly an objective, not the adversary

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Jun 20:42

Denopa

Maintaining the aircraft will be a expensive as the level of complicated systems is high for an aircraft in its class and IMO there insufficient reward for the extra money spent.

The designer has gone for performance first with maintenance very low on the list of priorities so lots of complications and not much access to systems that have to be maintained.

I have no doubt it is a great aircraft to fly…………. but not to own !

By all accounts not that great to fly… Agree horrible (expensive) to maintain
Side-by-side flying/gliding has to be a huge priority before these aircraft make sense.

United Kingdom

Well, I’ve been flying one (two in fact, upgraded in 2005 to a newer model) as part of a small syndicate since about 1999 so I’ll write something when I get time to do it properly Obviously I’m going to be disagreeing pretty strongly with what has been said so far!

Meantime, to put some perspective on things, what would people consider as alternatives with which to compare it?

Alan

EGST + Tibenham, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message