Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much would you pay to fly this Cessna P210 Turbine Silver Eagle

A Silver Eagle owner did actual tests and published a table

http://www.p210silvereagle.com/mbbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=137#M716

Sorry, I cut/simplified the link too much. The first post in this thread has a spreadsheet attached, but this link takes you to the second page which says “PM me”. Here’s a better link:
http://www.p210silvereagle.com/mbbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=137&start=1#M716

ELLX

For weather avoidance it is in the same class a TBM but with a reduced range.

Many would say a TBM is built a lot stronger than a PA46. One could compare the various limiting speeds.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Many would say a TBM is built a lot stronger than a PA46. One could compare the various limiting speeds.

I think that is true but not what I was talking about.

EGTK Oxford

Wrong forum?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here’s a good video on the Silver Eagle from the owner of the PC-12 that flies out of that tiny strip in the Alps. Looks like it has the MT prop mod. And the Eagle sure has great takeoff performance!

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 09 Aug 04:35

Seen that before. Climbs like a homesick angel ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

I hope I am not intruding here, but this thread makes me want to scream “Extra 400”.

I did not realize how much more it offered versus the 210 series until reading the posts above.
It seems this airplane is the missing link in today’s market and it makes me feel good about having taken the pain of rebuilding one.
Too bad only a handful are still around.
In comparison to the 210 series, the only relatively weak spot of the E400 i can think of is take-off performance: it wants a 800 m runway to operate safely at sea level and obviously more as you go higher.
I have heard of Extra 400s operating from shorter strips, but I don’t think it is safe to do so.

Apart from that it has a great cockpit and a very large, comfortable quiet cabin and the 5.5 psi pressurization actually works. At FL230, the cabin is at 6000 ft. This is in fact what made me want to post here.

You’ll find more data in the Extra 400 thread but I felt that the debate here would support the following disgression:

Question to the x210 crowd:

Could there be a market for buying these airframes and rebuilding them?
How much do you think a fully refurbished Extra 400 as below would be worth.
Here the package
- All carbon fiber/ nomex construction, little corrosion to worry about, utility category certified.
- 350 HP, 20 minutes to FL200 at MTOW/ISA
- 190-200 KTAS eco cruise burning 18.5 GPH / 71 liters (between FL190 and 250)
- 1999 Kg MTOW certification (no Enroute tax).
- New engine, new prop
- New glass cockpit avionics
- On board weather radar, ADS-B and conventional TCAS
- New interior, cabin is same size as an Eclipse jet and cockpit is also jet class.
- Fully overhauled landing gear

Gotchas:
STEC55 X autopilot
Owner must be technically very versed and willing to get involved.
N-reg quasi-indispensable to alleviate parts sourcing issue and eliminate “paperwork” maintenance costs such as unnecessary replacement of parts that can’t be found anymore.
No commercial ops due to Part 91 for maintenance
Not suitable as a rental aircraft because of engine management. A renter could kill your engine in 2 hours and kill themselves even faster if not suitably transition-trained.

Is it legit to say that the value proposition is – in a different way – in the same ball park as a Silver Eagle? I mean: these are obviously very different airplanes but their combination of features makes for comparable value?

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Just a gut feeling but the Extra 4/500 has gained a reputation for being exotic/unique. Probably based on „advantages“ of the plane as it offers features and combinations others do not. This also comes with disadvantages though, and the market of buyers will be small due to the fear of sinking money to no end into a „forever“ project.

always learning
LO__, Austria

If the Extra 500 were in production, or in bigger numbers leading to good chances of STCs for “new stuff” like STEC 3100 or Garmin GFC600 autopilot, I would probably prefer it to a Cessna P210 Silver Eagle. As things stand, I just accept that the P210 pressurisation is a “I need less oxygen” proposition, not a “I don’t need oxygen at all”.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

the P210 pressurisation is a “I need less oxygen” proposition, not a “I don’t need oxygen at all”.

Well, if it is properly set up, and you keep at FL200 or below, a P210 needs no more O2 than any unpressurized aircraft flying at FL100 or below.
BTW, 98% of GA piston flyers do not use O2 at or below FL125. I prefer to limit myself to FL100 cabin altitude unless essential to clear wx.

A P210 is really a FL160-200 aircraft, not a FL180-220 one like a PA-46

What cabin altitude sets your threshold for using O2?
Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message