Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DR300 ok for Night VFR ?

I guess it might not be the best forum to ask that question but here it is : all DR300 I know are day-VFR only.
Here is the panel of the one I learned in (it got new avionics since then)

Are some Night VFR equipped or is there a way to equip them ?

I am looking into this out of curiosity, but maybe also in case I get interested into buying one

LFOU, France

You will have to check what the regulations are now under EASA for equipment for Night VFR. I know in France there used to be classe VFR/VFR Nuit/IFR on the CDN but this no longer applies so don’t listen to what you hear at the aeroclub bar.
The panel is one thing (basic IMC fit in short), you also obviously need navigation lights and landing lights so we need pictures of the outside too! Pretty simple stuff but costly to retrofit on an old Robin if not.
DR300 or anything Robin are fantastic machines and incredibly durable so do not dismiss one if you have a good deal.
I flew a DR360 for eight years all across Europe, fantastic memories. Happy on grass strips, climbed like a rocket and easy enough to land at large international airports. I used to sometimes fly IFR in my 360 and yes it was all legal with the equipment I had. No autopilot so a bit of work in IMC but happy enough.
Bear in mind that night VFR in Europe is a pretty rare thing. Very few airports open and quite a few restrictions so yes it might seem like a great idea and is fun but to be honest you won’t fly much at night. Flying IMC/IR is much more useful.

ORTAC

Thanks podair.
IIRC, the regulation is pretty much common sense : AI, TC and lights…
This aircraft has navigation and landing lights (newly fitted, I’ll ask how it was done). I think strobes are not mandatory and if they are, nav lights can be replaced by nav+strobes units.
I wrote quickly, but my question was about interior/panel lights (mandatory I think). I have no idea how one could fit some lights on such a panel. Any idea ?
I know in the FAA world, one can put some LEDs bought online and it works. That’s the only disadvantage of Robins : you can’t have them N-reg :)

As of Night VFR, my airfield is H24 and to me night flying is quite usable from time to time. And I love it !

LFOU, France

LED strip beneath the glare shield would work, aswell as single Instrument illumination (see picture). There are sets you can buy (eg on aircraft spruce). You can install them with CS-STAN.

The DR series are okay for night VFR. We fly with the DR250 at night, too.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I flew at night in a DR1050. At that time it was a C of A aircraft. After she was wrecked, the replacement was never fitted for night, and later went non-EASA.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thanks very much for your replies. I didn’t know CS-STAN allowed such minor changes. The LED strip seems the best solution to me. I’ll keep that in mind.

Side question : does anyone know any clear summary of CS-STAN and ELA1 regulations ? A text, a video, a podcast, a cartoon, whatever :)

LFOU, France

SC033 is what you need to install LED cockpit lights.

You can read CS-STAN here local copy

The procedure is easy:
1.) Look up the SC of the piece you want to install and make sure you follow the guides / limits
2.) Install the equipment according to the applicable data / manuals
3.) Fill out Form 123
4.) Have Form 123 signed by your Part-66 engineer. One copy for him, one for the maintenance file.
5.) Update the list of changes in your maintenance file.
6.) Fly.

Paperwork is about 15 Minutes

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message