Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Privateer - yet another new amphibian

http://privateerindustries.com/

This seems to be the only real pic, from a youtube taxi video. The airborne ones are all CGI

The curious thing is where would the market be? Amphibians of this size need relatively sheltered water – lakes or rivers, not the open sea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think you’d need an army of crew like a big yacht needs to dock it. It’s hard enough to use boat infrastructure with a seaplane as it is, let alone something with wings/floats/nose all in the wrong places ready to hit stuff. You’d manage fine off those textbook seaplane ramps/smooth lake shores that exist in 1/50 places you might want to go….

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

This seems to be the only real pic, from a youtube taxi video. The airborne ones are all CGI

There are 4 pages of pictures and 4 pages of videos on the home page. You can see it fly on both pictures and videos.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Those wheels look tiny, assuming you could find some place where you could alight and then taxi onto the beach without getting arrested.

As with all these things. I ask myself one simple question. Do they fly this in Alaska or Canada, outside the lower 48. If they don’t it’s not much use to me. Weather is bad, strips are short, maintenance is basic where I live….

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Yes, William, a guy I used to know maintain that there were only two aircraft for Ireland the Cub and the Rallye.

Joe_90 wrote:

Yes, William, a guy I used to know maintain that there were only two aircraft for Ireland the Cub and the Rallye.

I’d agree with the Cub anyway …. The Rallye is such fun but such a pain in lots of ways. The Cessna 180 I sold, and dearly miss, was as close to perfect airplane as was ever created for hacking about here in Ireland. Getting back to the OP the Lake Renegade or a U206 would be a better use of money if you wanted an amphib. If you went up to Turbine there are lots of choices with more utility. This Privateer would need to be really good to beat the Quest Kodiak seaplane, if you wanted to go head to head with a turbine comparable.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The Cessna 180 I sold, and dearly miss, was as close to perfect airplane as was ever created for hacking about here in Ireland.

There was a time the lighter early type could be found for $50k now they are sought after cream puffs going for $150k and up.

Some refurbished versions sellers are asking $250k plus.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

A catamaran flying boat. Why not? I would like to see the calculations done for the twisting moment on the inner section of the wing in rough seas though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

There are so many of these seaplanes coming out now. Just in the last few days I have seen at least 3 new designs. I wonder if there is some specific market opening, perhaps in Canada, which everybody is chasing after? I wonder if @pilot_dar or @canuck have an insight?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message