Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport food

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is no black pudding on the Greek menu!

Personally give me the UK menu any day. I don't like fish anyhow, and as sad as it may be, a nice bacon butty at an airfield, and an Earl Grey on a nice sunny day is just fine :-)

When the owner of of the plane I just bought delivered it, I think he expected to have lunch with me at the airport, just as I had in France. I told him not to bother as it would be too embarrassing to follow the poached salmon I had at Angers with ham, egg and frozen chips at the UK airfield we were going to...

EGTK Oxford

Many "aviosuperfici" in Italy have restaruants on location. The choice of food is embarassing:

Taken from the Ca' del Conte website:

"The Cook of Ca’ del Conte uses only organic raw materials produced at our farm or at neighboring farms. The cuisine is traditional Emiliana enriched by the imagination of the cook. Salami, cheese, fried dumplings, ravioli in all kinds of natural sauces, lasagna, meat with fresh vegetables, salads and finally homemade desserts like tiramisù, chocolate soufflé and cakes.

The prices of meals range from an average of 10 Euro for lunch with one serving plus drink and coffee, to 35 Euro for dinner with a full menu."

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

The choice of food is embarassing...

What exactly do you think is embarrassing about this food? And embarrassing for whom?

On me, unfortunately, these airfield restaurants are wasted because I am not used to eat big meals at lunchtime. A sandwich, a salad or a slice of Pizza is really all I need. And in the evening I will be either home or in a hotel. And then, seafood at luchtime and flying afterwards has its own risks... and is forbidden in many commercial operations!

EDDS - Stuttgart

Maybe there are different expectations in different countries, but I'd say in 90% of UK airport restaurants / cafe's, this is the kind of food you would expect and I think most pilots want. If you want 3 course seafood dishes, then you have to go off airfield for that ;-) I have only been to maybe 6 airfields / airports in France, and I got to say I havent seen anything special there. In fact at La Rochelle the best I could find was a chocolate muffin, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place, or the 'good' food was in the departure lounge for the scheduled flight passengers.

Just had a nice pizza in ETEJ (Bamberg) and an ALB.

United Kingdom

an average of 10 Euro for lunch with one serving plus drink and coffee

which I find on the expensive side, for Italy. Often enough I have had lunch, with a choice of 3 or 4 primi, 3 or 4 secondi, ample water, wine (sometimes limited to a quarto) and coffee and digestivo, for 10 euro, never more than 15. It used to be like that at Cremona Migliaro field but I understand there's a new landlord, now.

I am under the impression that some, or perhaps even most, aviosuperfici associated with Agriturisimi are on the posh side and not exactly low budget.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I'm torn between the Shrimp w/Garlic & the Galeos Fish Fillet Saganaki.

49 Posts
Sign in to add your message